4- The Sign

Another season cycle passed, and Silver had never felt better. Her adventure with the strange pack of Pokémon (Floe had suggested they might be Mightyena, a species her kittenhood Tribe had struggled with) had changed her. For the first time in her life, Silver had not had to rely on others to protect her. She had been able to help someone else. Geyser, her hero- and now, her best friend.

Who cared if the rest of the Tribe thought her pelt was strange? Geyser saw more in her than just that. He gave her fishing tips and swimming tips and laughed at her jokes and asked to be assigned to the same patrols. Silver could feel Agile burning with envy, but it was nothing to the reward of Geyser's companionship. He was so clever and fun, and so kind and so brave. He was everything Silver wished she was, and he still gave her the time of day.

Silver was so inspired by his kindness that she felt the desire to pass it down and began to make an effort to spend time with the Eevee kitten, Silent. Silent seemed to get along with his siblings, but Crouch and Tumble often speak over him, Silver noticed. Silent didn't talk much, but he was nice company to sit with on the shore, flicking tiny fish onto the sand and sharing occasional observations or thoughts.

The only thing that concerned Silver now were her own littermates. Agile had been very embarrassed to be rescued by, in part, Silver, and was pricklier to her than ever. Silver was struggling not to give up hope of ever having a relationship with that sister, and tried to maintain politeness even when it was difficult.

More concerning, though, was Leap. The experience seemed to have entirely broken something inside of her. She slumped around camp with her head lowered and her ears drooping, refusing to patrol the Wildlands border or socialize with her soon-to-be Tribemates. She was still kind to Silver, but the once ever-present spark in her eyes was simply gone. Silver very much hoped she would feel better soon.

Silver hoped their impending Evolution and official Initiation Ceremonies would help her recover. The evolution and renaming of an Eevee was a milestone that marked the transition to adulthood, and the Induction Ceremony marked the official making of a new Tribe member, something that was only asked of adults in the Lake Tribe. Young Eevees who grew up in the Tribes looked forward to these ceremonies their entire lives, and in season cycles before, Leap had been the first to tell Silver everything she was looking forward too. Leap had even decided on what she wanted her own adult name to be, and whispered it to Silver, demanding she promised to tell no one. This was allowed but uncommon, most adult names were selected by the Tribe leader. To select one's own was a sign of dedication, the decision to join the Tribe before it was necessary to make that decision.

Most Tribal Ceremonies took place by moonlight, and the day was to be spent in a final assessment, to make sure the Eevees were prepared for life in the Tribe. For most, it was a formality. Silver and her sisters had been raised by the Lake Tribe their entire lives. The Tribe knew them well. But Silver didn't mind the final assessment. She wouldn't have been able to lounge around today, even though it was beginning to get warm.

It was that early part of spring, when the air was finally pleasant, but the water was still ice-cold. Prey was beginning to return, and the Lake Tribe was beginning to fatten up again. Silver relished this part of the season cycle, when the ice had finally vanished and the shining expanse of the water was bared to the sun again, and the smell of it flooded everything. Melting snow swelled the lake until it burst its banks and lapped at the edges of the Lake Tribe's dens, and made the water thicken with eddies and currents. Silver had long grown too strong to be really afraid of it, as long as she was careful not to dive too deeply.

She, Agile, and Leap spent the first part of the day in the lake, fulfilling the hunting part of their assessment. Before they had struck out, Geyser had visited with Silver to wish her luck.