one.

onika point of view
miami, fl
august 2nd 2023

I had been in a complete state of shock for the past couple hours.

I was in disbelief. There was no way Robyn just called me and told me that Bey was at her door.

After a year and a half of thinking she was dead, she might've really been back.

Robyn didn't tell me much over the phone except for she was going to take her to the hospital to get her checked out, just to be safe.

My anxiety was out of control waiting for an update from Robyn, or a text confirming that she was pranking me.

After a while of me just waiting by the phone, she finally called me. I barely let it ring twice before I eagerly answered. "Hello?"

"Hey."

"What the fuck is going on? She's really back?"

"Yes, she's really back. I'm so.... I don't know." She sighed. "This shit is crazy."

It officially wasn't a prank. "How is she? Is she hurt? Where was she this whole time?"

"She's strangely normal, she's acting exactly how she was before she left. As for where she was, I have no idea."

"No idea? Nigga, ask."

"I'm not trying to badger her with questions right now, she's barely been here for a couple hours."

"Is it cool if I come over?" I needed to see her.

"Yeah, can you bring food? I didn't realize how empty my fridge was and I don't know how much she's been eating since she's been gone."

"Of course, what should I bring?"

"Uhhh.... get Popeyes. Get whatever from there, I just know she likes Popeyes."

"Alright, bet. See you soon."

"Bye. And remember to stay calm when you see her, I don't want to overwhelm her."

"Okay. Peace." I don't know if I could but I would try. I hung up and immediately went to grab the keys to my almost brand new car.

It wasn't anything special, just a used Dodge Charger I bought off Facebook Marketplace. But I paid for it in cash and I had no car payment so I had no complaints.

Not only did I have a new car, but a new apartment. Even though Bey was gone, she was my main motivator to want better for myself and now I was definitely in a better place than before.

While I sat in my car in my apartment parking garage, I placed a mobile order so I wouldn't have to wait all day for food. Popeyes does not mind.

I ordered a family meal deal that came with pretty much half the damn menu. At least Bey would have options.

It wasn't until I got out of my car to go get my Popeyes did I realize I looked homeless in my hoodie and sweatpants. Not the ideal outfit I wanted her to see me in after all this time.

My order was already ready so I just grabbed it and left.

My hands tightly gripped my steering wheel the entire time I drove trying to stop them from shaking. Even my feet were shaking on the steering wheel.

The closer I got, the more the reality really began to set in and I realized where I was driving to. I was about to see Bey. The woman I had been thinking about for months and months nonstop.

It had been so long that she was becoming a figment of my imagination. An imaginary friend that didn't really exist.

When I got there, I had to sit in the car for a little bit to take a couple deep breaths before getting the food and going inside.