Ch 3: Burdens of present and past

Narrator Pov

Morning came and with it most teams woke up, Team TALN being among them, though one of them remained asleep, a small fluffy black form curled against his neck as he snored lightly. Linda and Aube didn't see it as they took the chance to wake up fully and sort out their hair. Nella yawned into her hand and walked over to Tatsu, her hand resting on Xari instead as she shook him.

Nella: "Rise and shine Tatsu, time for school."

She was expecting him to move and grumble a little, instead she heard a growl. She yelped and jumped back as a pair of eyes glared at her, they blinked and calmed down as Xari yawned, stretching himself out before turning to Tatsu and biting his ear, the Dragon Faunus grumbling and waking up.

Tatsu: "I'm up, I'm up."

Xari let go and sat on his lap, Tatsu stretched his arms out before rubbing his eyes, now seeing Nella just to the side but pure joy and excitement burning in her eyes. He followed where she was looking and saw Xari looking up at him, his tail wagging like a puppy. He knew what was coming and covered Xari's ears.

Tatsu: 'Three...two...one...'

Nella: "OMG!!! SO CUTE!!!"

She quickly scooped the little Grimm into her arms and hugged him close, nuzzling him as Xari squirmed a bit. Tatsu rubbed his ears a bit in pain as Linda and Aube came out, seeing Nella snuggling the little Grimm, Tatsu sighing a bit.

Aube: "What is she holding?"

Tatsu: "Think you mean who, and his name Xari, and yes he is a Grimm."

Linda: "You have a Grimm as pet?!"

Tatsu: "He isn't just a pet, I much rather call him a friend."

Aube: "Still, how can a Grimm be a friend? And why isn't it attacking Nella?"

Tatsu: "It is a long story. And it does dive into a personal subject of mine."

He instinctively rubbed the bandages on his arm, Xari noticed and broke down into a slimy puddle, escaping Nella's grasp and crawling on Tatsu's lap, rubbing his head against the bandaged arm. Tatsu smiled a bit and pet him, the girls seeing the bond between the two and knowing they should not push the matter.

Aube: "We won't pry any further, tell us when you are ready."

Tatsu: "Thanks... I'm honestly not use to such kindness from people."

Nella: "Why not?"

Tatsu: "I was a loner at my old combat school, only people who would hang around me were Ruby and Yang, but everyone kept telling them to ditch me for various reasons."

Linda: "Me and Pyrrha can relate a bit, being seen as celebrities and prodigies. Making friends we could be ourselves around was hard, they always saw us as our celebrity status before even considering our personal self. It was honestly a relief when we met you."

Tatsu: "No problem, and how was it for you Nella and Aube?"

Nella: "Not too bad, my old friends were pretty chill. Though a lot of the boys were only friends with me for my body."

Tatsu: "Can't be surprised really, you are stunningly beautiful."

Nella blushed and hid her face behind her hair, making the Dragon Faunus smile.

Aube: "As for me, it's more complicated."

Tatsu: "Oh?"

Aube: "My father wasn't the most kind, nor the most loving, he would always try to force me to act and behave in ways I wasn't comfortable with. I never had a lot of friends either, as he would always drive them away, saying they aren't fit to be in my presence. My mother tried to reason with him, but he would never listen."