10

⋆ ˚。⋆୨୧˚𝐋 𝐎 𝐒 𝐄 𝐑 𝐒˚୨୧⋆。˚ ⋆

the cold white walls that reflect the bright lights brought shivers along juliet's arms and spine causing the clutch she had on her body to tighten.

her fingers gripped onto the rims of the fabric of her favourite jacket while she followed her parents in tow. their strides were long and certain. they knew where they were going having walked these halls too many times before.

a constricting feeling wrapped around juliet's beating heart like a hug trying to steady itself. she recognised this new found feeling as guilt.

just by momentarily glancing at her mothers face and taking a mental photo of how her lips and jaw pinched and her eyebrows furrowed allowed juliet to get sucked into her own thoughts and isolate herself from the world.

she didn't want to be back in this place, she didn't want to cause her mother more worry or distress.

"right this way, dr. darwin will be with you shortly." macy, the secretary, offered the family a small smile upon recognising them.

"thank you." juliet heard her mother reply. even her voice was frigid.

as they walked into the spacious office aligned with tall windows and books on so many shelves juliet's father rubbed a reassuring hand along her arm.

"don't worry rosie." his bearded smile lulled his daughter. "it's just a check up."

nodding juliet sat down in the middle of her parents on one of the plush purple arm chairs that brought comfort to her tense body and a sprinkle of character to the forsaken room.

"right well, the roses! how are we doing?" dr. darwin opened his office door, a jolly smile already shining the family's way.

juliet's dad cleared his throat. "doing good doctor, and yourself?"

"oh don't worry about me, i'm alright." he spoke before sitting down, a squeak leaving his chair as he rolled it forward.

dr. darwin enclosed his hands together above his desk with a warm smile. he was a middle aged man dreading his fifties and sported a thick moustache that complimented the tiny glasses perched up upon his nose. he was anything but scary, yet juliet couldn't find it in her to meet his gaze.

"doctor.." juliet's mother began as she took hold of her daughters hand. "her lack of rest is back. and i'm afraid it's worse."

  her mother worked as a nurse in one of the biggest hospitals of their city. even though she was familiar with all things medical and treatment wise she couldn't understand her daughters situation and that internally killed her.

"i see..." sighed dr. darwin as he opened his burgundy desks drawer and pulled out juliet's file.

"we thought it was horrible before, but i've realised it was only the beginning." juliet's mother continued. "she hasn't been falling asleep easily and when she does it's only for a few mere hours."

dr. darwin nodded whilst scribbling in his patients file. his eyebrows furrowed and his heart ached for the young girl who suffered from something so awful so early on in her life.

clearing his throat he looked up into her eyes. "so you haven't been sleeping well recently?"

"no." juliet answered. "and when i do it only lasts a few hours, usually only three."

"and when you finally manage to fall asleep, do you still feel tired the next day?"

"yes."

dr. darwin pursed his lips and signed of her file. "alright, this is what we're going to do. last time i saw you, you were younger and your situation was less.. prominent but now that you are older i will prescribe you some medication that you should take 30 minutes before bedtime and 7-8 hours before you're waking time."