Prologue: Awakened

Pain. Excruciating pain. He was unsure of how he knew what this feeling was called, but he knew it was pain. His orange and purple eyes popped wide open as he gasped for air, filling his lungs with the green viscous fluid that was all around him. With a burning sensation consuming him from the inside out his hand slowly reached out and touched a glass wall. "Break..." A voice in his mind spoke to him slowly in agonizing tones. Power — magic — slowly engulfed his body and rushed down his arm into his hand as the voice echoed in his mind. "FREE!" The voice screamed with an empowering tone. He knew not what he was doing, but a massive burst of raw magic flowed outwards from him, through his hand, and into the glass. Shattering it into millions of pieces he flew forward and fell down onto the cold stone ground as the ooze coated the floor.

Hacking up the slime, he gasped for air, his lungs burning with a fiery pain. Finally able to wheeze he slowly pushed himself off of the gray stone, every bone and muscle in his body groaned with resistance. Blinking twice, his life, his existence, slowly awakened. Bright lights flashed across his eyes repeatedly and blaring sirens pierced his ears. The room was bare, save for the metal frame and glass walls of the container he had just broken out of, a singular podium with a flat surface standing next to the tank, and the lights that dazzled his eyes. The walls and ceiling were made of the same bland stone. The small room seemed to loom in on him as he took in his surroundings.

The singular door to his room, built of wood and banded with iron, flew open almost breaking off its hinges as a male and female came barging in. Cadence, a woman dressed in a simple gown of oranges and yellows with frayed strips of fabric at the bottom that chased behind her, had bright yellow hair that was frizzled and ragged, and fiery yellow eyes that had green tendrils pulsating throughout her pupils; immediately held her hand out towards their experiment, paralyzing and holding him still in a magical stasis. "WHAT THE FUCK!?!" The high pitched voice screamed out over the loud sirens, instilled with panic, "How did he break free??" Her eyes darted across the room while her husband, Tyrithon, ran up to the podium. While Cadence was thin and fragile looking, he was packed to the bone with muscles. Thick brown leather armor covered his body and a pair of swords dangled at his hips. His hair was dark brown, and kept short, spiking into the air, while his eyes had the same green tendrils running through the pupils, they were a staunch brown.

As Tyrithon touched the flat surface of the podium it sparked to life. Graphs and data points sprung up showing nothing but error messages. He quickly hit a button that turned off the alarms. Swiping his hand to the right the windows changed to a recording of vital signs, temperatures, outside atmospheres, a timer, and a progress bar that was flashing at 85%. Quickly scanning through everything it had recorded in the past minutes he growled and punched the wall, cracking it ever so slightly while his fist remained unaffected, "Everything was perfect! Nothing was out of order!" He shouted back at her.

The subject's eye twitched slightly while he stood there frozen in place. The voice spoke to him again, "Someone...awoke us. Someone who did not belong here..." The voice was masculine, but sleek and charismatic. Of most note, it sounded curious, almost...excited.

Tyrithon gave up and turned to stare at their experiment with furious concern, "What do we do now?" Cadence asked. "We put everything into this!"

Tyrithon growled, "Indeed we have. We've dedicated millennia." He paused and quickly went back to looking at the data. Tapping on the progress bar it opened up into more detail:

Physical Growth...100%

Enhancing Magic...100%

Ability To Gather...100%

Ability To Wield...100%

Resistance to Overuse...100%