Chapter Five- Dumbledore's lessons

ONE WEEK LATER

I walked through the castle, headed to Dumbledore's office. I was getting quite nervous as to what he might have me do.

I stepped into the gargoyle, and immediately, as if it were expecting me, it spun upwards. No password needed.

I knocked on the door.

"Come in." The professor said. "Ah, Averil. I see you remembered. I've cast charms so that no one can see or hear us ."

I sat down on the seat opposite his.

"In this lesson, I thought it would just be best if I asked you some questions. Is that ok?"

"Yes, sir."

"Can you use your powers without changing form?"

"Yes sir."

"Is there anything that forces you back to your original form?"

"When I'm scared, angry or nervous."

"How does it feel how you are now?"

I paused.

"Painful. My whole body aches and I always want to be in my original form."

"Does it hurt to change form?"

"Yes sir, where my wings come out."

He stopped and studied my face, his eyes full of pity.

"It must be tough for you. Did the orphanage you lived at ever find out?"

"No, sir."

The professor got up and started looking for something.

And then, suddenly, a massive red and gold bird was perching on my shoulder. The professor looked back at me in surprise.

"Fawkes seems to have taken a liking to you, Averil." He said, his eyes twinkled and his wrinkled face stretched into a smile. I smiled back, admiring the beautiful bird, as it stared right into my eyes, like it was seeing right through me.

The professor sat down again, a piece of crumpled parchment in his hands, which he placed on the desk carefully.

"This is a prophecy, or a transcription of one. The actual prophecy lies within the ministry. I'd like it if you took the time to read this. That'll be all now, Averil." He said, still smiling. I smiled back again and headed out.

I had arranged to meet Fred near the forbidden forest, and walked over to meet him. I was really excited, because it was almost a date. Sort of.

I straightened my shirt and made sure my skirt was level, and then re did my hair. Yes, I admit it, I like him. So shut up.

He was waiting for me, leaning on a tree with a smirk on his face. He was wearing Jeans and a dark pink top. Damn, he looked good.

I smiled and walked over to him. He took a step towards me.

"You look beautiful." He said, and I felt my cheeks heat up.

We walked round the edge of the forest in the moonlight until we got to the lake.

The sky was dark, and the stars shone, reflected in the lake underneath it. It was beautiful.

Fred took his jacket off and put in on the floor for me. I blushed and thanked him, and we sat down. I sighed and let my head rest on his shoulder. I felt him tense and then relax, and then put his arm around me. He was warm and I snuggled into him.

"It's, erm, a pretty night." Fred said.

I tried to contain my laughter at his attempt to start a conversation.

"You haven't done this for a while, have you?" I said, chuckling. He blushed.

"Maybe not."

"By the way, I saw filches face that night we, or you, pranked him. It was hilarious! I almost felt sorry for him. Almost." I said, grinning.

And so we were off. We must have talked for hours, and by the time we were done, you could see the edge of the sun rising in sign of the early morning.

He walked me back to the Slytherin common room, holding my hand in his.

"Good night, Fred." I said, and in an act of instinct, I placed my lips.on his for a brief moment.

Fireworks went off, and I felt my lips tingle. The butterflies in my stomach seemed to be having a party. His lips were warm against mine, and it was just like a dream. Perfect.