Chapter Ten- The Department of Mysteries

We ran to the forest, sprinting as fast as we could. Thestrals were grazing on the grass, peacefully snuffling at the almost bare ground. I saw them. I hadn't seen death, but I could see them as clear as the air in front of me.

We helped the others who couldn't see then onto the thestrals, and then got on. We flew like the wind, gliding softly through the clouds. It felt like what I'd imagined using my own wings would be like. Like I was finally free.

We ran through the ministry, watching the statues as they passed us, towering over us. We approached the department of mysteries, taking caution with every step.

Harry grasped the golden door handle, and turned it slowly. Behind it, an endless room full of glass balls. The balls were filled with a glowing white most. I could hear the whispers, deafening me. I clamped my hands against my ears.

"What's wrong, Averil?" Ginny asked.

"The whispers. Can't you hear them?" I said, trying not to shout.

"No."

I took one hand off, and let my ears adjust. Gradually, I accustomed to it.

"Harry." Neville said, studying one of the glass balls. "This prophecy. This one has your name on it. And... Averil, you too."

I walked out slowly. I watched Harry take his, and the whispers that followed. Echoing around the room.

I took mine. The glass was ice cold against my skin.

"One girl,

To help, to save, to live,

Wings made of her sorrow, yet they beat for her joy.

Angel of fire,

She will help him.

Her powers so great,

Impossible yet possible,

She stands,

The fire angel."

I almost dropped it. I held on to it with my left hand, and hoped that no one had taken much notice.

"Harry!" Hermione said.

I turned. Two death eaters, slinking along the floor towards us, their cloaks dragging after them.

"Averil. Harry. Give me the prophecies." The blond one said, and I recognised it as Draco malfoy's dad. I had seen him at the station after Christmas.

No one moved.

"Haven't you ever wondered... Why? The secret of your scar? Give it to me potter. I'll tell you."

A death eater was suddenly in front of me, appearing in a mass of black fog. I drew my wand and waited for Harry's word.

"I've waited so long." Harry said.

"I know."

"I guess I'll have to wait a little longer. Now! Stupefy!" He said, drawing his wand and shouting a red light out of the end of it, and so did I.

We ran, but more death eaters appeared beside us. We fought them off as best as we could, but they kept coming back. Ginny blasted one with a "reducto," but the force of the spell made the shelves start to collapse in on themselves, with the prophecies shattering underneath them. I held onto mine tighter, holding it against my stomach.

We tumbled out of the door, out of breath, and fell suddenly. Too fast for my wings, but luckily, there was a charm which stopped us from falling straight to to ground, freezing us a few inches off it and then dropping us. I was especially careful with the prophecy.