DC | S2; EP11

FOLLOW MY CO-WRITER ACC FOR BOOK UPDATES/SCHEDULES; amsbamsTHIS IS A SEQUEL. Go read Extravagant first ]

 Go read Extravagant first ]

EPISODE ELEVEN

EPISODE ELEVEN.

A 14-year-old Sunjai stood next to the phone inside the rec room. She waited patiently for her call to connect.

"Sunnyyy," The deep voice rang through the phone making Sunjai smile.

"Everest, why you ain't pick up the first two times?"

She turned around leaned against the wall so she didn't have her back to the room full of teenaged girls.

Her older brother leaned against his car in the same way she had just done to the wall, "I'm workin'. Somethin' you've never done a day in yo' life."

"I-." She laughed, "I ain't old enough to work but when I get outta here, imma apply to work at the Chipotle by my school, trustt."

"Word?" He raised an eyebrow, "You think you could get me free burritos if you worked there?"

Sunjai nodded with a slight hum, "Fasho, I think so." She glanced at one of the guards who had just posted up at the door. She stared at him for a moment before turning her back to him, she couldn't stand looking at him. "I wanna come home." She whispered into the phone.

Everest pushed off his car, "Why you whispering? What's wrong?"

She sighed, "I'm not whispering." She cleared her throat and then rubbed her temples with her free hand, "Just tired of bein' in here. Ion deserve this."

"I spoke ta Jelani yesterday and he said the same shit. Y'all shoulda try stayin' outta trouble and we wouldn't be in this situation." He pursed his lips, "Ain't that right?"

Sunjai rolled her eyes, "If you say so."

Everest got into his car, "You need some more money on yo' books, Sunny?"