Chapter 4: First adjustment

Several months had passed since Ben had let Ninon leave her dressing room. He was the resentful type. He knew it. He had been really upset at the time but he had decided to wait, so as not to dwell on it unnecessarily. Time had passed, and so had the summer holidays. He had enjoyed all this time with hid family, it had done him a lot of good. He felt much more relaxed. 

September had gone by quickly like every year. By the time, he went back home, and the girls on school, and resumed his daily routine. He was just starting to get bored when Auber, a producer and actor friend, asked him to join him at his home, an hour from Paris, to talk about a new project.

Ben loved leaving Paris to find himself in the countryside. It allowed him to disconnect and on this early autumn, he felt good. With the window open, he felt a light, almost warm wind, he intended to take full advantage of the last mild days before sinking into a Parisian winter, ever more harsh and humid. He was cut off from his thoughts by his own voice on the radio. Ben frowned. He had been interviewed two days before. He talked about his end of tour and these new projects. He changed the radio.

Ben= what an asshole am i...

He had just arrived to the house of his friends. He parked in front of a huge suburban house, lost in a forest, out of sight, almost impossible to find without a GPS. A huge dog came to greet him, barking. He stroked the dog's head vigorously.

Ben= Hey hi Shoes! It's been a long time! Where is your master?

Ben came back into the house and started shouting:

Ben = Hey! Hi buddy? Even your dog is more polite than you! He comes to say hello! It would cost you to come and welcome your guests!

Ben knew the house by heart. He quickly climbed the stairs and arrived in Auber's office without even thinking to knock. Auber was a man of around forty years old, with a determined look, a rapid speech flow and who only expressed himself with large gestures. He was a generous man, although very stubborn and with a very strong character, soaked. He and Ben had known each other for almost ten years. They adored each other. Ben entered the room happily, then his body froze, his legs and his breath taken away.

He could have expected anything but that. Ninon was there, in Auber's office. Auber and Ninon turned to him. Ben remained stuck.

Auber= Well! Damn sorry! I didn't hear you! (he hugs him) Meet Ninon!

Ben cold, don't move.

Ben= Yes, I know her...

Auber looked at Ninon who had not yet moved. He found the atmosphere tense.

Ninon, still a little behind, reestablishes contact.

Ninon= We met each other, leaving the comedy club...

Ben= It's not entirely correct...

Ben put down his bag and walked over to an empty chair.

Auber asked no more and decided to move on.

Auber= Ok, perfect that way we save time! Have a coffee. Ninon wrote a script, it's not a comedy, it's even a drama. I'm going to produce it and I think you would be perfect for the male role. I would like to do a reading. If you're ok?

Ben looked stunned at Ninon and Auber. His friend's voice rang out.

Auber= Ben are you listening to me?

Ben= Yes...

Auber= We can start reading then, Nine will read the female character, but she will not play in the film. We're still looking for the one who's going to play opposite you...