Chapter 7, When the shooting ends

Ninon had returned to open scenes, so as to no longer have any free time. She was still working on her new script at Auber's request. He even asked her to accompany him to promote the filming of the film. She had accompanied him on several radio shows. They spent a lot of time together but Ninon didn't really feel attached to him. On the other hand, she felt that Auber had stronger feelings for her than she would have liked. She knew the end of filming was near. She was sick to her stomach just thinking about it. She hadn't reconnected with Ben. She hoped to leave everything behind once filming finished.

*

All the members of the filming were gathered on the set. Mathieu, as director, gave a short speech.

Mathieu: Look, it's not finished yet, we still have a few takes to shoot, but I just wanted to thank you in advance. It was an ambitious, intense project, you all gave your all and it will make a very beautiful movie. So, we're not giving up until tonight and then we're celebrating as it should be!

Everyone whistled and applauded him. Ben gave Valentine a hug. Valentine released him and saw that he looked a little sad.

Ben: What?

Valentine: Well, aren't you asking me if Ninon is coming to the end of  the shooting's party this evening?

Ben: No... she does what she wants. As usual anyway.

Valentine: ...ok...

She turned her back on him, then retraced her steps.

Valentine: She'll be here this evening, so you don't ask.

Ben looked at her and didn't know how to manage. He had done everything to stop thinking about Ninon. Once again, he felt a sense of unease coming over him. He forced himself not to think about it and to give it his all for the last scenes.

*

At 6pm, they had just filmed the last scene of the movie.

Mathieu: And it was Ben's last!! We applaud him!!

Everyone started clapping and whistling. The pressure was off and everyone wanted to party to celebrate. Every time Ben met a member of the team, he received a round of applause, a gentle pat on the shoulder. He also thanked them for their work. 

He felt soothed and the weight on his stomach seemed lighter. He couldn't believe he had succeeded. All he wanted to do was take a nice hot shower and have a drink. He pushed open the door to his dressing room when he saw Ninon sitting in his chair. She smiled at him. Ben froze. He hadn't expected this at all. He closed completely.

Ben: Don't worry, do as you feel.

Ninon said nothing. She knew there was little chance that her surprise would go well, but she wanted to break the ice alone with him rather than risk seeing him in front of everyone.

Ben: I would like you to go out, I'm going to change.

Ninon: Of course.

She was about to go out when Ben added:

Ben: Did it cost you a lot to send me a message?

Ninon: I didn't see the time passing.

Ben: And when you came to the set, couldn't you just stay and say hello?

Ninon said nothing.

Ben: We saw each other every day, we were super close and then nothing. It's for you that I made this fucking film. It's because of you. But you don't give a damn. You're definitely going to end up alone like that. It's effective. We don't want to have you in our lives, you're not reliable. You're right, your life is shit but you only get what you deserve. We don't do that to people Ninon. We don't behave like that.