May 15, 1812

The bustling streets of London are behind me now as I traverse the well-worn path back to Pemberley. My time in the city was consumed by business—transactions and negotiations that ordinarily would command my full attention. Yet, throughout it all, my thoughts were persistently drawn to a certain Miss Elizabeth Bennet, whose image haunts me still, despite the passing weeks since our last, most tumultuous encounter.

I have been informed that she has returned to her family's estate in Hertfordshire. The news brought an unexpected sense of relief, though it is coupled with a strange emptiness, knowing she is once again beyond my reach. The letter I entrusted to her hands in Kent, the raw exposition of my heart and a detailing of my actions, remains without reply. In the stillness of the night, I wonder if it has altered her perceptions, if the disdain she held for me might be tempered by the truths I revealed.

The city's smog and clamour have given way to the fresh, verdant scents of the countryside, as the carriage rolls ever closer to the sanctuary of Pemberley. My heart longs for the familiar embrace of its grounds, the peaceful respite it offers. I am eager to see my sister Georgiana, whose innocence and warmth are the light of my life. Her letters speak of excitement for our impending guests, yet I detect an undercurrent of anxiety, a shadow that the Wickham affair still casts upon her. I am determined to be the brother she needs, to protect and support her as we face the future together.

Mr. Bingley and his sisters are to join us shortly at Pemberley. The thought of his arrival brings to mind the unresolved matters between him and Miss Jane Bennet, Elizabeth's beloved sister. My role in their separation weighs heavily upon me, and I am resolved to rectify the situation, to pave the way for Bingley's happiness, should his heart still be inclined. This is a debt I owe, not only to my friend but to Elizabeth as well.

As the carriage winds its way through the familiar lanes leading to Pemberley, the estate finally comes into view—a majestic sight that never fails to stir something deep within me. It is more than a home; it is a testament to the Darcy legacy, a legacy I am charged with upholding.

Yet, as I step through its grand entrance, the opulence that surrounds me feels hollow. The absence of Elizabeth's presence is a silent echo in the marble halls, a reminder of what is missing from the grandeur that surrounds me.

In the quiet of my study, surrounded by the portraits of Darcys past, I pen these words with a heavy heart. My sister's joy upon my return was a welcome respite, her embrace a reminder of the love that remains steadfast in my life. But as I prepare to welcome Bingley and his sisters, there is an ache for a different reunion—one that may never come to pass.

The weeks ahead will be filled with the laughter of guests and the warmth of family, but as I look out upon the verdant expanse of Pemberley's grounds, I cannot help but wish that Elizabeth could share in this beauty. That she might walk these gardens and halls, her hand clasped in mine, her eyes alight with the wonder I long to show her.

For now, I must content myself with the duties of a host and the companionship of my sister. I will welcome my friends with open arms and, perhaps, in the joy of their company, find a momentary respite from the yearning that has taken root in my heart.

Fitzwilliam Darcy