CHAPTER 10 - Idiots

idiot /ˈɪdɪət/ — a stupid person

     As soon as the fussing Erwin, Aiden, and Jasper brought Rei to the infirmary, and the realization of what she had said hit her, she banged her head against the closest wall, first cursing herself, then cursing from the pain in her forehead. The three men stopped in their tracks, exchanging confused glances that wondered if the blood-red-haired woman had lost her mind.

     She asked herself that same question over and over through the next few days. Each time the door of her room in the infirmary opened, she prayed it wouldn't be that raven-haired head poking through it. First, she was relieved he didn't come to see her, then progressively more annoyed by it. Despite their differences and... complex relationship, he could at least acknowledge her words—despite them being said against her better judgment.

     It gnawed at her more and more. She shouldn't have said it. Should've kept her mouth shut. She could bear his hatred caused by the walls around her heart, but if he decided to push her away after she'd—Oh, god. She said she loved him.

     Mila found Reinae with her head buried in a pillow between her knees.

     "What got you so worked up that you didn't even hear me come in?" The small woman strode to the bed, sitting on the edge, her big blue eyes scanning Rei with suspicion and worry. Rei only groaned into the pillow, slightly shaking her head.

     "Not in a talkative mood, huh," Mila mused. "Aren't you excited about getting discharged today?"

     Another groan.

     Mila looked at the flowers on Rei's nightstand. Two bouquets from Erwin, who was drowning in guilt as if he'd been responsible for Rei's injury—Mila didn't know he partially was—one from Carter, one from Isaac, one from the Special Operations Squad. None from Levi. Mila knew he hadn't even come to visit. She squared her shoulders, her lips pouting in a way that promised aggression.

     "I'll go find you some clothes that don't make you look miserable," Mila said casually, throwing a judging glance at Rei's big sweatpants and an oversized shirt that covered the bandages around her chest, both in a depressing grey color.

     Rei didn't even groan in response, her head still in the pillow as Mila left—not towards Rei's room, but towards Levi's office.

     Levi was battling a mental fight through a stare with Erwin as he sat opposite him in the commander's office.

     "You can't let her go to that ball," he repeated through clenched teeth for the third time.

     "She's insisting," Erwin replied casually, though his brows furrowed with displeasure. "And she has to make an appearance as one of my most powerful soldiers—and as a captain."

     "She just got stabbed through her chest!" Levi growled.

     "She heals fast."

     The captain had no words. He could only gape at his commander, deciding between sending a fist to his face or hurling him out the window.