CHAPTER 34 - Solace

solace /ˈsɒlɪs/ — comfort or consolation in a time of distress or sadness

     Levi was waiting for her by the entrance of the infirmary, leaning back-first onto the archway, arms crossed over his chest. He watched her approach with his usual slight frown, a sparkle in his eyes only she could see. When she was close enough, he extended a hand toward her, prompting her to take it, but instead, she sneaked her arm around his waist and wrapped his around her shoulders. He went rigid for a split moment—they were in the infirmary full of their comrades and subordinates, and they'd rarely shown affection for each other outside the privacy of their alone time. But Reinae, at that moment, didn't really care. She wanted just a few minutes of pretending, of acting like there were no eyes on them, no burdens on their shoulders, no threats intimidating to crumble their lives. So she pulled him towards their home—the headquarters in Trost, where everything had started.

     They walked silently, gazing up at the blue sky, through the path leading from the infirmary past the training grounds to the big gates of the building.

     "It's almost fully rebuilt," Reinae noted, gesturing up at the higher levels of the headquarters that had been damaged during the fight in Trost when Wall Rose had been breached almost two months ago.

     Levi hummed in reply. She looked up at him, at the wrinkle between his eyebrows. She intertwined the fingers of her right hand through his that hung over her shoulder.

     "What's on your mind?"

     "This," he answered flatly, gently pulling her closer.

     "Then why are you frowning?"

     He looked at her, at the curious, formidable green eyes gazing at him. An invisible string tugged on the corner of his mouth, and he faintly pressed a kiss on her hairline.

     "I'd long accepted that I'll die before humanity's freed of titans," he said, returning his gaze to the sky. "That I won't get a chance at a normal life. But I want this. More of this. It makes me... angry."

     His confession left her speechless. She still hadn't gotten used to Levi expressing his thoughts and emotions—it happened so rarely.

     "When are you traveling with your new squad?" she asked.

     "Tonight," he replied in a groan of displeasure.

     Reinae's nose scrunched as it always did when she was thinking. And when her eyes fell upon Carter and Aiden sitting on a bench on the training grounds, each holding a beer as if they were on vacation, a smirk came across her lips.

     She pulled Levi in their direction.

     "Carter!" she called in a tone that made both the men flinch. He turned around and grinned widely when beholding his captain. "Having fun, are we?"

     Carter's grin fell flat, and he looked at the bottle in his hand with a guilty expression. Aiden rolled his eyes at his sister, taking a big gulp.

     "Cut us some slack, sis," he groaned. "We've finally found a few minutes to relax after this massive shitshow."

     "Well, pause your relaxing for a while." She scanned their surroundings. "Where are Jasper and Isaac?"

     Aiden groaned again. "Over there." He gestured to the group in the distance. "They went to break apart those two idiots that keep fighting."

     Reinae narrowed her eyes to see their faces and smiled. "Perfect," she said. "Come with me."