Chapter 11

Once they'd put the kids to sleep, Amelia sat on their bed, watching as Owen bathed and put on some fresh clothes, getting ready to go to sleep. Sensing her gaze on him as he threw on a pair of shorts, he asked, "What?"

"Did you ask Maggie to check on me?" she asked, her curiosity getting the better of her.

"What? No, I didn't even know she was off today," Owen lied poorly, sitting down next to her at the foot of the bed. He smiled knowingly and winked at her.

"Liar," she teased him, smiling.

"Liar? Amelia, I am not a liar," he dramatically exclaimed. She rolled her eyes, and he noticed her smile slowly fade as she got lost in her thoughts. "What is it?" he asked, hoping she would share what was in her mind.

"I'm sorry," she said softly, knowing that Owen could sense her sadness and guilt.

He looked at her, his eyes filled with concern. "Sorry for what?"

"For not being able to give you more children," she replied, her voice trembling, "For causing us to drift apart."

Owen knelt on the floor in front of her, taking her hands in his. "Don't ever think that, Amelia. We are in this together, no matter what. You are my wife, and I love you."

She smiled weakly as she looked down at him, feeling a glimmer of hope. But her thoughts still lingered on the fact that she didn't want to burden him. "I just feel like we're always talking about something depressing, and I didn't want to bring up any more depressing stuff," she explained.

He sat next to her again, gently squeezing her hand. "Listen, if your husband can't handle you at your worst, then he doesn't deserve you at your best." His words sent a chill down her spine, and she looked at him with admiration, but was still unsure. His next words surprised her even more. "In fact, I think you should leave him," he said, a mischievous glint in his eyes.

Amelia's eyebrows furrowed. "What are you talking about?" she stammered.

"It's his fault," Owen insisted, "He should be doing everything in his power, and more, to make sure you know your feelings are not a burden to him."

She finally caught on to what he was doing, and giggled. "He's a nice guy, Owen," she explained, "I don't want to stress him out any more than I have."

"He's sounds lame," he convinced her, flicking his wrist in a dusting motion, "You should definitely break up with that loser."

She couldn't help but play along, pretending to be indecisive about leaving her husband for him. "I don't know...we have a daughter together," she pondered with a teasing look.

"I've always admired you from afar," he confessed to her as he gently touched her face. Amelia was caught off guard, frozen as he gazed at her with loving eyes. She knew he was just pretending, but he was really good at it. "You're gorgeous, sympathetic," he continued, boosting her ego, "Not to mention you're such a talented surgeon, so smart."

"Better than you?" she taunted, a glint of attraction in her eyes.

"Way better than me," he affirmed with a coy smile, knowing the narcissistic side of his wife well, "Your husband is lucky to have you."

She knew it was just a game, but his words hit a little too close to home, making her heart race with a mixture of fear and desire.

Owen continued, his voice growing even more persuasive as he spoke. "You deserve so much more, Amelia. You deserve someone who truly sees you, who cherishes you for the amazing woman that you are. Someone who will do anything to make you happy, no matter what it takes."