hotel rooms

the silence of the hotel lobby at 1 am that morning did nothing but make Daisy very, very aware of how exhausted her body was. 

getting broken up with took insane amounts of energy...apparently. 

Taylor playing a mashup of "Cornelia Street" and "last kiss" and dedicating it to the younger blonde singer had helped a smidge, as Cornelia Street was one of Daisy's personal favorite Taylor Swift songs, but once she and the taller brunette entered the lobby of the large hotel they were staying in, Daisy was eerily aware of how alone with her thoughts she was. 

she didn't know how she was going to survive the night. 

they were silent in the elevator-- both girls thoroughly exhausted from the day 

"Hey, how are you doing?" Gracie asked once they stepped into the hallway to go to their separate rooms 

Daisy knew that if she said anything she would start bawling, so she shrugged. 

"If you need anything, literally anything at all Dais, I'll be up for a while" Gracie offered her a sad smile before turning and walking to her room.

Daisy did not quite like the dark, but she guessed it was somewhat fitting for her mood. 

nevertheless, she turned on every light in her hotel room as she began to unwind from the day. 

Daisy had grown up with a twin sister, an older brother, and lots of dogs. She wasn't used to being alone, she had literally not been alone since she was conceived.

But, Daisy knew it was far too late back home in Mississippi to call up her sister, so instead she took a shower to distract her from her thoughts. 

the shower did nothing to dull her emotions, because as she was rummaging through her suitcase looking for pajamas, her wet hair dripping down her back, she realized she had nothing of her own. 

her pajama options were few and far between-- Henry's Carhartt hoodie, Henry's Dodgers T-shirt, or, you guessed it,  Henry's Star Wars T-shirt. 

She toyed with the soft material of the Dodgers t-shirt, and as she did, she could smell the scent of Henry's deodorant and cologne clinging to the fabric. 

Suddenly, Daisy felt like she couldn't breathe. 

She couldn't swallow. 

There was a painful lump in the back of her throat, and she eventually gave in to the wave of tears she'd been holding back all night. 

Daisy cried, she cried and she buried her face in the T-shirt, desperate for some comfort. something to make her feel less alone. 

she was truly, and utterly alone. 

she had no one. no one to call. no one to tell her it would be okay.

Daisy was nauseous and her head pounded as she felt wave after wave of anxiety and grief wash over her. 

she wasn't good enough. 

he didn't want her.

henry. 

henry, who had dimples for days. Henry, whose soft brown hair always tickled Daisy's forehead when they'd made out. Henry, who always made sure she was cared for after sex. Henry, who answered her phone calls no matter what he was doing or at what hour. Henry, who'd slid the beautiful diamond ring onto Daisy's finger that one day in London. 

the ring she was still wearing. 

Daisy wanted to smash it. 

He'd lied.