CHAPTER 11 - Espionage

espionage /ˈɛspɪənɑː(d)ʒ/ — the practice of spying to obtain political and military information

     The King's ball was the pinnacle of the nobility's shallowness and ignorance. The hall in the Military Police headquarters in Mitras was garnished with everything gold and white—the King's colors. Lining every wall were long tables with enough food to feed the entire Underground City three times over. It was an excuse for women to dress prettily and for men to drink endless bottles of sparkling wine.

     Celebrating the King, Levi thought as he entered the hall with Erwin, Miche, and Hange, all of them wearing simple suits. What a load of crap.

     He tried not to let his disdain show as he politely nodded to everyone who rushed to greet the commander of the Survey Corps and his most elite soldiers. He also tried not to show his nervousness—Reinae was nowhere to be seen. She hadn't taken the same carriage to Mitras as the rest of them. A thousand thoughts rushed through his head as to why she was late.

     Erwin was just as worried as Levi, but he did a much better job of not showing it, only allowing himself to glance at his pocket watch with a slight furrow of his eyebrows.

     "Should I go get her?" Hange asked subtly, removing the jacket of her light grey suit to hand it to a server.

     "No." Erwin fixed the lining of his cream-white suit. "She'll come."

     "Did you tell her about the dress code?" Miche asked carefully, knowing Reinae enough to realize she would likely wear something scandalous.

     Erwin's face turned a little pale.

     "I did not."

     "Well, pray she doesn't upset any of the ladies with her pick of attire," Miche grumbled, looking towards the dance floor, where pairs already danced to the lighthearted classical music.

     Levi controlled his expression. Dark colors were forbidden at the King's ball—everything was to be bright and happy to symbolize the wish for peace and prosperity. That was why Levi wasn't wearing black, opting for a pine-green suit—it was as dark as Erwin allowed him to wear. He hated it.

     He chose the black dress for Reinae purposefully. It might cause some trouble, but she's the type to thrive in anarchy. She should show them all that she didn't give a damn about their rules. That she would bow to no one.

     A part of him hoped she wouldn't wear it—the mere thought of her in that dress sent blood rushing to his crotch. He should've thought about that beforehand.

     "Why are you all standing there so stiffly?"

     The question was posed by Commander Pixis of the Garrison Regiment. The bald man already had rose-stained cheeks and a gods-knows-which glass of sparkling wine in hand.

     "We're waiting for another," Erwin replied kindly, saluting Pixis, who dismissed the formality with a wave of a hand.

     "Ah," the old man said, musing. "I've heard you're bringing a certain infamous individual. Very brave, Erwin. Or very stupid."

     Erwin frowned slightly, his hands behind his back forming fists. Pixis noticed his confused displeasure and leaned closer to him.

     "Many don't like her," he said, glancing towards the group of Military Police. "Many remember when a hefty sum of money was promised for her – dead or alive."

     Levi struggled not to flinch.

     "She can take care of herself," Miche said somewhat sternly, straightening in his washed-out brown suit.