CHAPTER 12 - Tango

tango /ˈtaŋɡəʊ/ — a passionate ballroom dance

     Chatting and dancing didn't feel as rewarding, with Reinae having to keep one eye on her surroundings for any sight of Berger or other Wenzel's minions. Maybe Marcus hadn't caught on to her—maybe her dress was distracting enough for his peanut-sized brain.

     It was surprising how many noblemen approached her, asking for a dance. She felt no guilt in accepting despite Levi's progressively grimmer expression. He teased her, fully knowing his effect on her, and left her hanging dry, bursting with need. Him having to watch her dance, each time a different man's hand on her waist, was a suitable punishment. By the dozenth dance, Levi refused to even look at her when she joined him for a glass of sparkling wine at the corner table.

     "Sulking much?"

     "Brat."

     She giggled.

     "You shouldn't let people get so... close to you," Levi gritted out. "Many here would like to see you dead."

     It was true, but no one would attack her in the middle of the dance floor.

     "Don't worry, darling," she purred, moving closer to stand before him. He stilled, surprised by the nickname, then narrowed his eyes when she took his hand and slid it through the slit of her dress. They were hidden behind a mass of drunk people, but Levi still couldn't believe her audacity. He flinched slightly when his fingers grazed the razor-sharp dagger strapped to her thigh.

     "I brought claws." She grinned fiendishly, enjoying the way his fingers dug into her thigh before she pealed herself from him—just in time to see a familiar face walk towards them.

     "It's nice to see you're not bleeding this time," Theo said as a greeting, grinning from cheek to cheek.

     "The night is still young," Reinae replied, returning the smile before hugging him.

     Theo tensed slightly. She was never much of a hugger, so being shocked by the gesture was a normal reaction. Even so, he returned the hug, making sure not to press on her wound.

     "How is the cut?" he asked.

     "Healed—almost. Thank you again. For the other day."

     Theo smiled, oblivious to Levi's confused gaze that darted between them, observing everything about their interaction.

     "Anytime, Rei."

     Theo looked at the black-haired man as if he just realized he stood there, his smile faltering for a moment when he met those cold gray eyes. Reinae rolled her eyes and pointed at Levi.

     "Allow me to introduce Captain Levi," she said reluctantly. "Levi, this is Theo Roche."

     The men shook hands. "Pleasure," Levi said, voice stained with sarcasm that almost earned him an elbow to the ribs from Rei.

     "Levi? Just... Levi?" Theo asked with confusion.

     Reinae tensed. She never asked about Levi's last name because she assumed he didn't have one. Many from the underground didn't know their parents and were therefore nameless. Theo quickly caught on to his mistake.

     "Oh," was all he managed to say as he realized that humanity's strongest soldier was also from the underground.

     "Still so daft sometimes, huh, Theo?" Reinae teased him, rolling her eyes.

     "I apologize," he said, tilting his head remorsefully. I forgot there were more of us up here."

     Levi remained quiet despite his many questions about Rei's connection to this man—he added them to an already seething list.