five

I walked back home from the restaurant after Edith fired me. I can't believe that happened, and for what? Just because I couldn't control my big mouth.

I opened the front door, already hearing the loud noise from my little siblings. I walked inside, seeing my dad is sitting on the couch with a pack of nuts as he cracks them in his mouth, being surrounded by Ron and Abigail who were chasing after each other around the house.

"Hey!" I heard my dad call when he noticed me.

"Hi." I said lightly with a small smile and walked to him, sitting besides him on the couch, looking behind my back to the air conditioner who made some weird noises, but ignoring it when I saw my dad wasn't bothered by it at all.

"You came early from work today." Rachel said when she came to the room with a loud music from her phone.

"Yeah," I called hesitatingly, not sure if I should tell them I got fired.

"You finished early." Nathan said as well when he also came to the room.

I nodded again and sighed, pursing my lips as I was still thinking whether I should tell them before I'm trying to make Edith forgive me for my behavior, but couldn't think any more when Rachel's music got dig into my head. "Rachel, can you turn down your music? The noise is driving me crazy."

"The music is what bothers you?" She called and looked behind her. "When are we going to fix that air conditioner, I can't bare it!"

Nathan then walked somewhere else and came back with a toolbox.

I got up from my seat and looked at him with a confused face. "What are you doing?" I asked him, lowering my eyebrows at his sudden actions.

"I can't stand that noise either." He said, talking about the air conditioner.

"You'll only do more damage." I called, seeing him take a screwdriver in his hand and digging into some of the holes of the air conditioner, not really sure what he's trying to do.

He kept doing it before it did a loud noise, making him jump back when a little smoke came out of there.

"Get out of there, what are you doing?" Rachel called loudly, looking at the now destroyed air conditioner.

"Great, genius." I called again, shaking my head with disappointment.

"What happened?" My dad asked cluelessly, making me sigh at his behavior.

"That's it." Rachel called. "Dad, The air conditioner went dead."

"Bring the jar." He called, taking the jar Nathan gave him by his hand and checking how much money we have there. "Where is all the money?"

"I think we used it for the light that got burned in the grocery store." Nathan called.

"Oh." He called back, making me sigh again, knowing that throughout this week we'll have to manage without air conditioner, that wasn't a very great timing for that to happen when the hottest days in the year were in that week.

I sat down again with a grumpy face, being followed by Rachel and Nathan that sat as well on the couch, taking all the free space that was left there.

"We'll figure it out tomorrow, go get some rest for now." My dad said to us, putting a hand around me to cheer me up a bit. "You too, erase the sourpuss of your face. Go get some rest, you have job tomorrow, no?"

I looked down, knowing that telling them now will just bum them out even more. I cleared my throat at shook my head lightly, frowning my eyebrows a bit from the lie I'm about to tell them. "I took a day off for tomorrow." I said, already feeling the heat that was filling the house from the broken air conditioner.