Ch.12 Setting Up

"Hold on now!" I addressed Mori. "They wouldn't just kill Shi-"

"Your sister's ability is very dangerous... What if another ability user came along and took control of her's?"

"Then Dazai-san could-"

"What if he's not able to get to her in time?"

"..."

"The Special Operation Division can't accept that possibility. Just look at the damage that the fake has made. If I were them, it would be a much better option to just put that poor girl down."

"..." I grip my fists.

Shiori...

"So, what do you say, Fukuzawa? You and I work together on this little problem of ours. You get to search for the real Shiori in peace, and no one steals from me again. Hmm~?"

"That not exactly all you want." The director states.

"...Hmm... That's true. When we catch that fake, you let me take them back to the Port Mafia. I've watched that surveillance video many times over before coming here. There's something that doesn't click with me about it. I simply would like to question them."

"So that's your true goal, is it?"

"Want to work together? I won't ask again."

"...Fine."

"Excellent." Mori stands, a smile plastered on his face. "I'll meet up with you later, Dazai-kun, to come up with a plan."

"Such a pain..." Dazai sighs. "...But anything for Shiori..."

"Of course, come on you two."

Mori leads Chuuya and Akutagawa out of the room. Dazai and I follow to make sure no trouble arises. Ranpo stays behind with the director.

~~~~Third Person P.O.V.~~~~

Ranpo sighs dramatically as he plops down in the chair across from the head of the Agency.

"Man, now the Port Mafia is mixed up with this. Isn't that great?" He sarcastically asks.

"Ranpo...I assume that video didn't sit right with you as well? Your expression didn't seem quite right."

"There's just something I don't get in that video."

"I see..."

"Director... I wish to ask for your permission."

"..."

"I wish to go to that place. We might learn more about Shiori and the people targeting her there."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm positive."

"...Very well, take Yosano, and the Tanizaki siblings with you. I grant you permission to go."

~~~~Time Skip / Atsushi's P.O.V.~~~~

"..."

Dazai still haven't come back from the meeting with the Port Mafia.

I sat on the sets leading up to the second floor of the apartments the Agency owns. After work, I simply sat here wondering what the plan would be. Dazai has been gone since noon...it's almost midnight now.

"..."

Not only Dazai, but Ranpo's group left during the noon, too. I wonder where they're off to.

"For you."

"H-Huh?!" I nearly jump at the sight of poor Kyouka. She held out a bowl of Chazuke towards me. I stare at it confused.

"You haven't eaten tonight. I tried to make it as close as to Shiori's as possible."

"..." I smile at her. "Thank you, Kyouka-chan. Sorry to have made you worry."

She just nods as I eat. It didn't taste anything like Shiori's... but it was still good on it's own.

"...Are you nervous? About capturing the fake?"

I stop eating, a frown forming. "...I am...I have si many questions for them. Like, why are they after Shiori? Couldn't there be an easier way for them to coax her out of hiding? Just...what did she do for them to want her dead?"

"..." Kyouka places a hand on my shoulder. "We'll find out soon."

"...That's what I'm kind of afraid of."

"You two are still up?"

We look up at the voice to see Dazai approaching us. I stand, handing the bowl to Kyouka. "Dazai-san, what happened at-"

"Don't worry about it. Everything is set. The plan will take place in three days."

"Three days?"

"I asked Ranpo before he left. He said the fake would be back in three days' time."

"I see..."

"..."

Dazai steps around us.

"D-Dazai-san-"

"You two should be sleeping. No sleep can seriously cause harm to your body."

"...Hey, what's with you? You've been in such a chilling mood since that fake Shiori reappeared."

"..."

"I understand you miss Shiori too, but you don't have to be so cold about the topic."

"Cold, huh?" He turns his head in our direction. My whole body shivers from that harsh, hateful expression he's making. I've never seen him like that at all. "I'm sorry that finding your sister and keeping her alive and safe is the only thing on my mind right now. The thought of Shiori still being hunted down like a stray dog at this very moment justs..... You say I've seemed cold recently? I couldn't be far from it."

"..."

"I'm just seriously pissed off with this unknown group."