Chapter 8

The sun was starting to rise by the time the beach came into my line of sight.

The sound of the plastic bag rustling in the silence of the night was the only noise I could hear. My taser had refused to work no matter how much I had tried to fix it and it wasn't long before I had gotten bored of attempting to do so, deciding to throw it all away and start new from scratch.

Despite the sun slowly peeking over the horizon, the beach was still silent. All the players fast asleep in their rooms from the eventful night before.

'Chishiya!' An annoyingly familiar voice called out.

I glanced upwards towards the voice, squinting slightly against the darkness. I couldn't see her clearly, the outline of her figure leaning over the balcony waving at me being the only thing I could make out.

Though I didn't need to see her, her voice alone was enough to tell who it was. Not to mention there weren't many people who'd be so openly friendly towards me.

She turned abruptly, running back into the building just as I made my way into the lobby.

'Where have you been?' She asked, coming down the stairs before waiting for me half way down.

'Out.' I replied without slowing down my pace. My short reply did nothing to discourage her.

'Are you building another walkie talkie?' I glanced towards her, finding her curiously peeking into my bag.

'It's a taser.'

'Can I have one?' She smiled, looking up at me in question. 'I'd be more useful to you with a weapon don't you think?'

Ah, so she was aware that I've been using her. To a certain extent.

My lips lifted slightly at the irony. 'If you get me the materials I needed, I'll build one.'

Her brows rose in surprise at my compliance. If Kuina was already teaching her how to fight, perhaps this would raise her chances of survival even more.

I dismissed the thought as soon as it invaded my mind.

'Say, Chishiya. How'd you meet Kuina?'

I turned down the hall, the door to my room coming in sight. 'I met Kuina in a clubs game, we were paired and that's when I learnt about her fighting skills.'

Slowing down once the door came into sight I opened it, walking in without looking back and as expected, she walked right in, switching the lights on and closing the door casually behind her.

'Do you have a habit of doing whatever you wish?' I say as I started to empty my pockets onto the table, placing the plastic bag next to it.

I could hear the slight smugness in her voice. 'You don't exactly mind me doing whatever I wish though.'

I had just gotten all the materials out when she sat herself down on one of the chairs. Knowing that any attempts of persuading her to leave would be useless, I sat down on the opposite chair. Despite how persistent she could be, I didn't mind her presence.

It was tolerable, mainly because I had grown immune to her constant line of questioning.

Grabbing the new base for the taser I took the screwdriver, pulling it apart as I got to work.

'Is it broken?' She leaned on her elbows, watching me as I continued to pull it apart.

'Im making it stronger.' I mumbled in reply. The next game night isn't far off. It'd be best if I had a taser when the time comes.

'So you did take my advice, gotta say, it took you awhile.'

'I didn't take anyone's advice. If this succeeds it'll benefit me greatly.' I replied instantly, though there was still a hint of a smile on her face.