Chapter 35: Warning

Suspected by some for knowingly harboring the enemy within their ranks, the 104th Cadet Corps was kept isolated. With the sudden emergence of a Titan swarm, couriers were dispatched to warn surrounding districts and villages. However, their origins and how they got here remain a mystery. Mankind is still in the dark.

(Trost District)

Commander Pyxis was in his office going through paperwork when a garrison soldier burst through the doors, startling the commander and the other soldiers with him.

Soldier: Commander Pyxis, I bring urgent news!

Pyxis: What is it, soldier?

Soldier: The Titans. They've breached Wall Rose!

Hannes: What? Thats impossible!

Pyxis didn't respond. Instead, he furrowed his brow and grumbled under his breath as he took the information in.

(Stohess: Y/n pov)

Once we'd been outfitted with our gear, we all climbed into a wagon that was being prepared.

Eren: Dammit. What does all of this mean? 

Mikasa: There's no use getting bent out of shape about it. We go in, kill the Titans, and come home.

Y/n: No, you're right to be confused. This is out of character even for Titans. Both times they've breached the wall, the Armored and Colossal Titans weren't far behind, but they weren't spotted this time. No, this is something else.

Armin: Would they break a wall with Titans in it?

Eren: It wouldn't be the first time. That's how they got in before.

Armin: Yes, but both times, they breached the gate, not the walls themselves.

Mikasa: What are you getting at here?

Armin: The walls are different. There's no sign of stress or cracks and we don't even know how they were made in the first place. What if they were built with the same stuff Annie surrounded herself with? It's extremely versatile, and decades of existence could change its form to look more like stone.

(3rd pov)

Moblit was pacing around Hange's lab while she looked through a microscope intently at something.

Moblit: We've got to go any minute now. What's taking you so long? They're going to leave with or without us!

Hange: Just hold your horses. I need another minute.

She looked at the specimen she'd been studying for a few more seconds before gasping. Her surprise was short lived however because Levi revealed himself at the lab entrance.

Levi: Hange, get moving.

Hange: Right, sorry. How's our guest doing?

Levi: He's been ready to go for a while now.

Hange: Okay. I'm coming now, Dont wait up for me.

Levi: Just make sure you get everything you need before we leave.

Hange: Moblit already took care of that.

She grabbed the specimen from the microscope and followed Levi out the door. Just outside the building, the scouts were all sitting atop their horses and ready to go.

(Y/n pov)

I shivered a little bit in the cool night air. Mikasa must have noticed this because she reached over and tightened my cloak for me.