Chapter 1: Discovery

"My lord."

Uraume's voice echoes off the walls of the large main hall, or more accurately, deemed the throne room by the being sat at the head of it. His lower set of arms is hidden in his kimono, folded over his stomach. The other two rest on the armrests of his throne, one propping up his chin on his fist.

"What is it, Uraume?"

The white and red haired servant hesitates, before speaking.

"News has traveled of another."

"Another what?"

"A curse user, my lord. Supposedly, one that rivals yourself."

The king's cursed energy flares along with his sensitive temper, its energy becoming almost suffocating to anyone within the bound of the room. Thankfully, it was just the two.

"And who might this wannabe brat be?"

"I do not know their true name nor their true face, my Lord. But the people call them Ikiryo Kyuuketsuki, the Ghost of the Living."

---------------------

The day is warm, a breeze drifting across your skin as you bask in the daylight, enjoying it now since you know the seasons will begin changing soon.

Right now you're laid on a large, flat rock next to a creek, just letting yourself relax in nature. It's not often you aren't being hunted down by someone, so it's nice to take the time to enjoy it.

Of course, it's right then that you hear the flapping of wings that is far too big to come from a naturally occurring bird, and they're getting closer. You sit up, grabbing your knife from the sleeve of your yukata.

Standing up, you look around, scanning the treeline for the mysterious sound. Your eyes also look at the undergrowth around you, making sure there aren't others waiting to ambush you once you're distracted.

A large osprey dives through the trees, coming to a stop on the ground before you. You raise an eyebrow, knowing they aren't native to this area of Japan as there isn't enough water, until you taste the cursed energy radiating off of it. It's now that you recognize the subtle differences that mark this bird as a shikigami, from a pretty low level sorcerer or curse user.

In its talons is a scroll, with a familiar seal. You sigh in annoyance as you take the scroll from its talons, the bird immediately dissipating into the air. Opening the scroll reveals exactly what you were dreading it to say.

Scanning the words, it says the same thing it always says, something about the Jujutsu Sorcerers wanting to set up a meeting between you and a trusted member of their ranks to inquire about indoctrinating you into their cause. You recognize the name at the bottom to be one of your, you suppose could be called your only childhood friend Fuyuki Gojo. He was a user of the Six Eyes, but lacked the Limitless technique. A pity for you, because then you would be able to use it, but that's besides the point.

The point is that this isn't the first time his little band of sorcerers has tried to recruit you. And despite your vehement no's, they just keep asking. Each time with more perks and bribes added on.

It was getting tiring.

You toss the scroll aside, but not before getting a look at the meeting location in a few days. It's at a food stall that you quite enjoyed from a town you weren't too far from. You suspected this choice of venue was on purpose, as you and Fuyuki used to go there every time you would pass through the area in your travels when you were younger. Travels that were few and far between, but very memorable.