21. 𓆩ꨄ︎𓆪

Leave a lot of comments. Do vote the chapters. Your response motivates me to update sooner!

Zulaid looked at his phone's screen with distaste. She didn't reply to his message and left him on seen. She kept ignoring him. He wasn't liking it a bit.

A sudden knock on his door couldn't take his attention.

"Sir! Dr. Azeem needs you in the OT. He is unable to control the hemorrhage" An HO, told him stressfully.

"Huh" He couldn't hear her properly, his attention was fixed at his phone's screen. He was never this careless before. Nor at least when it comes to his patients. The HO wanted to throw a glass of water on his head so that he could regain his conscious back.

"Sir! There is an emergency. You are needed in OT 4" The HO raises her voice to add value to what she was saying.

"What happened?" He rose up from his chair and put his cell phone in the drawer. He asked his assistant to lock his office and accompanied the HO to the OT. She had explained the complications to him.

He skillfully scrubbed in without wasting any time and entered the operation theater where the anaesthesiologist was trying to maintain the patient's blood pressure and the newly become consultant was trying his best to do damage control.

"Azeem is the bleeding under control?" Zulaid asked meanwhile donning gloves.

"No Sir!" Azeem explained to him.

The next few hours, Zulaid performed the surgery. First he controlled the hemorrhage then performed the rest of the surgery as the case was crucial and Dr. Azeem wasn't confident enough to proceed further.

Meanwhile his cell phone in the drawer kept beeping. Someone decided to reply to him when he wasn't available anymore.

Inara: I accept your lunch invitation.

Inara: ?

Inara: What was the point of saying sorry when you are ignoring me again?

Inara: You always do this!

Inara put her cell phone in her bag and gulped the water from the bottle. She gulped half of the bottle but her anger was still at its peak. She was getting furious. First he asked her for lunch. Then he apologized and later he disappeared when she agreed.

What was even the need to message him. He would be thinking I am dying to spend time with him. Can't I be angry with him just for one day. Not fair to yourself Inara!

She didn't wait for anything and left the hospital with the driver in a bad mood. She was pissed off at him for ignoring her again. This time she promised herself to not talk to him again till he apologizes.

She just slept after coming back home without having lunch. This word reminded her that he ditched her at the very last moment.

...

Zulaid looked at Dr. Azeem who was sitting at the corner in the changing room. He was still dressed in his scrubs. His head was bend. His gaze was fixed at the floor. The air of the changing room was heavy, suffocating him further.

Zulaid walked closer to him and sat with him on the bench.

"It's okay Azeem. You did really well" He patted his shoulder.

"But I lost the patient" Azeem said dejectedly.

"Some patients are going to be dead in our hands Azeem! We can't save everyone. It's not possible. The thing is you gave your best. That's all what matters!" He tried to explain him.