| 12 |

☙꧁[ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 12 ]꧂☙

   The contents inside the paper bag Mike had handed me are now sprawled across the pavement in front of me

   In front of us.

   Blankly staring at the ground before us, I am unsure of how to react based off of her sudden silence. Her silence is abundantly clear as she is wanting to be in any situation differing from where we are right now.
   I can't help but agree.

   "It's not what it looks li-"
   "I should go."

   My knuckles squeeze tightly together, hating how the night continues to play against my favor. If I had just taken that fucking bag when Mike handed it to me, I doubt things would've ended where they are.
   The idea of having to do this again though is a turmoil I promised to never do to myself again.
   Everything I've worked so hard for has been pushed against me with a promise to be the last time and yet, whether it is my last time working for Enzo, it's not promised if this would be my last time handling such contents to myself.

   "I'll call you a cab."

   The gears seem to turn in her head, as though there were more things she wanted to say but she just sat there looking at the ground.
   I couldn't blame her for wanting to push me on the subject though. Yet I know if she were to, I wouldn't have any answers to give.

   I grab the contents on the ground, putting them back into the paper bag before she stares a second longer.

   "No, I can walk."

   Ignoring her, "I said I'll call you a cab."

   It's not that I want to see her go but after having one of those assholes showing up here and two assholes seeing her in one night, I don't want to risk her safety further.
   It was already selfish enough of me to bring her back here in the first place, to let her help me, to even touch her.
   I don't fucking know where my heads at anymore.

❦ ❦ ❦

Watching her leave in the cab with her head held low, I'm instantly grabbing my phone and dialing the first number I see.
I don't give myself long to focus too much on what had happened last night, if I do, I fear I'll think I owe her an explanation when I owe her nothing.

It doesn't take long for Nico to make his way over to the parlor.
"Why is she here?" I look between him and Lex.

Lex shoves past me, walking towards the couch, "what do you mean 'why is she here', acting as if we didn't just agree to start working as a team."