A Fragile Peace

Phedora

I return home after a week at Adam and Addison's place, feeling a mix of relief and dread. The stay-at-home order has forced me back to Kurt, and I hope we can find some semblance of peace during this pandemic. My heart races as I unlock the door and step inside. The house smells faintly of alcohol. I walk through the living room and into the kitchen, where I find several open bottles of beer lying on the table. I grab the nearest trash can and dump those bottles in the trash. Kurt and I walk upstairs to Elena's room to put Elena in her bed before I lead Kurt to the bathroom. The bathroom light flickers, casting a ghostly pallor over Kurt's face. Blood oozes from his nostrils and the corner of his lip. I dip the washcloth into the warm water, squeezing it until it's just damp, and gently dab at the wound. The metallic scent of blood lingers in the air, mixed with the sharp, sterile smell of antiseptic.

His eyes are dark, swirling with an intensity that sends a shiver down my spine. They flicker to me, then away, as though he can't bear the weight of his own actions. "I'm sorry," he mutters, his voice thick with regret. "I shouldn't have put my hands on you. I'll never do it again, Phedora. I swear."

The words hang in the air, heavy and fragile, like glass teetering on the edge of a table. I focus on cleaning the cut, forcing my hands to stay steady. "I know," I whisper, though my heart is pounding in my chest. I don't know what to say. Part of me wants to believe him, to cling to the hope that this was a one-time mistake. But another part of me, the part that's been buried beneath years of small, almost imperceptible slights, knows better.

Kurt winces as I press the cloth a little too hard against his skin. I flinch, pulling back. "Sorry."

He grabs my wrist, holding it in place. His grip is firm, but not painful. "Don't leave me, Phedora," he says, his voice trembling. "I can't do this without you."

I look into his eyes, seeing the fear and desperation there. But underneath, I can see something else. Something darker. "I'm not going anywhere. Me and Elena are back home... with you," I reply softly.

I grab the first aid kit from the cabinet above the sink and move on cleaning the cut above his eyebrow. "Phedora. I thought... I thought you were cheating on me."

I freeze, the cloth hovering over his skin. "Cheating on you? Kurt, it was just a hug. Gino is a friend. You know that."

His eyes flicker with guilt. "I know. I lost control. I'm sorry. I swear it will never happen again."

A shiver runs down my spine as I recall the fight we had before I left for Adam and Addison's. It was the first time Kurt had ever been violent with me, and the memory still haunts me. I take a deep breath, trying to steady myself. "You promised me before, Kurt."

"I know," he whispers, reaching for my hand. "I was scared and angry. But I'm getting help online. I won't let it happen again."

I want to believe him, to hope that things can go back to the way they were. But a part of me can't shake the feeling that this is just the beginning. "Okay," I say softly, finishing up with the bandage.

He nods, pulling me into a tight embrace. "I promise, Phedora, I won't give you a reason to leave again."

We stay like that for a while, holding each other as if we can mend the fractures in our relationship with sheer willpower. Eventually, I pull away and go to check on Elena, where she's sitting on the floor surrounded by toys. When she sees us, her face lights up with pure joy, and she scrambles to her feet, toddling over to us on unsteady legs. "Mommy! Daddy!"

Kurt scoops her up into his arms, pressing a kiss to her forehead. "There's my little princess," he murmurs, his voice full of affection.

Elena giggles, reaching out for me. I take her from Kurt, holding her close as she nuzzles into my neck. Her innocence is a balm to my frayed nerves, and I feel a wave of guilt wash over me. I'm supposed to protect her, to give her the stability and love she deserves. But how can I do that when my own life feels like it's unraveling at the seams?