Chapter 5. Memories

-Louis's POV-

-2020-

As I drove home that afternoon I try not to let myself get too consumed in my thoughts. In fact, I try not the think at all. I turn on the radio, hoping it isn't anything that will make me think of him, and try to just focus on the music and driving. I always get lost in my thoughts when I'm driving though and I don't think that fact is changing anytime soon.

The radio starts playing a soft rock song that I haven't heard so it's a nice distraction.

I try to focus on the lyrics of the song as a way to ignore everything else.

You are the moonlight of my life every night.

Giving all my love to you.

My beating heart belongs to you.

I walked for miles 'til I found you.

I'm here to honor you.

If I lose everything in the fire

I'm sending all my love to you.

Well, fuck that's sad. I switch the radio station, hoping for something less sad.

I went through about four stations before finding something that wasn't very depressing. It was a song about beer and some girl...I think. I never did understand country music.

I was finally home around then. Zayn still isn't home which I found a bit strange. He's probably out drinking though. He usually is. I walk into the kitchen and begin to make a sandwich. I should probably make dinner for Zayn...I doubt if he'll eat it though.

I open the refrigerator to get the stuff for the sandwich (and possibly anything I can throw together for Zayn) and fuck, I really need to go to the store. Then again, I need to do a lot of things that I don't.

I finish making my sandwich and put some soup I find in a can on the stove for Zayn. I'm mixing the soup around just to give my hands something to do as my phone buzzes in my pocket.

I pull it out to see "Mum" flashing across the screen. I sigh and bite my lip harshly. I don't want to listen to her. I don't want to talk to her. I don't want to answer...but she's almost the only thing I've left. I hesitantly answer the phone.

"Hi, Mum." I say, trying to sound normal. "Hi, boobear!" She squeals over the phone too loudly, making me pull it away from my ear. "How are you doing, my lovely? How's Zayn? Is he treating you well?"

I bite my lip at hearing his name. "Yes, Mum, he treats me like I belong on a throne." If only. "How are the girls?" I ask, leaning against the stove.

"They're good, Phoebe's just gotten her license, Daisy's brought a new boy 'round the house. His name's Chris, bit of a prick, but don't you dare tell her that."

"And how's...James?" I ask. I could honestly care less about my mothers love life. She's never going to find someone, and it's obvious. Hurting Mark the way she did was the biggest mistake she could've made. "Oh, Louis, didn't I tell you? I broke up with James a few weeks ago. I'm seeing someone else now, his name's Charles."

I sigh. It really is a new guy every week.

"Ok, well, how's he then?" I ask, closing my eyes tightly.

"He's good. Listen Boobear, I got laid off from my job last weekend and I–"

"YOU GOT LAID OFF?!" I scream, because what the fuck?! She can't get laid off! She has the twins to support! They can't pay the bills for her, even if they do have jobs.