Chapter Two

"Code Black, for those of you who don't know," the Colonel continued, "Is what we call a Suicide Mission. In other words, it's a mission that someone in this training camp must do as we are the only ones qualified to do them. The reason we call them Suicide Missions, is because there is a 85% chance, you. Will. Die. Any volunteers?"

They others remained deadly silent. Hey, I'll try anything once.

"I'll do it" I said and they all turned to me surprised, the Colonel slowly walking past the others and stopping in front of me, "You'll do it?"

I shrugged, "Sure. What've I got to lose?".

Eagle stared at me, "Dude, you could lose your life. This is big time major league shit here man!"

"Yes, thank you Eagle," the Colonel said firmly, before looking back at me, "You sure?"

"Course" I replied and he nodded slowly, "Good. You leave now".

We were half way to the door before Wolf finally snapped. "BUT HE'S A FUCKING INEXPERIENCED KID!"

Both the Colonel and I turned back to him, both emotionless. The Colonel glanced sideways at me, "Do they...?"

"No" I replied simply and he nodded before walking back to Wolf.

"Do you know how old Cu- Jaguar is Wolf?".

Thank god he managed to catch himself at the last minute.

"No, sir" Wolf replied quietly.

"And do you know what he's capable of?"

"No, sir" Wolf admitted.

"Do you know anything about him at all?"

"No, sir".

"Thought so." the Colonel said, "Now if you'll excuse me, I got to brief the 'Kid' on his mission"

With that he walked off and I followed him, only pausing when I got to the door, taking one last glance back at the Unit as I grinned, "Oh and guys? If I die, remember the flowers alright? 13 black roses. That should be enough".

And with that I left, silently closing the door behind me, leaving two worried, and one angry, SAS soldiers behind me.

"You got everything?"

"Yes, Sir."

"You know what to do?"

"Yes, Sir."

"You know where to go?"

"Yes, Sir."

"Can you say anything other than 'Yes, Sir' by any chance?"

"Yes, Sir."

I grinned as the Colonel rolled his eyes at my response. We were almost at the drop off. The Jeep would be leaving me a mile outside the destination point as to stop any suspicions from the terrorists I was going to be breaking in and retrieving. They had gained some rather important files belonging to the British government, and it was my job to return them. Simple as that. It didn't sound like a suicide mission to me.

"Sir... We're here".

We both looked up as the stranger stopped the jeep. He was a solider by the look of him, but I didn't know what unit.

The Colonel turned to me as I jumped out, "If you don't report in 7 hours, you're presumed dead... Are you sure you still want to do this?"

"Just remember to read the speech at my funeral. 'Alex Rider was not strong patriot'. Some shit like that. I'm putting you in charge. So don't disappoint my dead body." I warned, grinning at him. I had just enough time to hear him let out a stream of strong swears and curses before I shut the door and they drove off.

Pulling my jacket further around me in hope to ward off the chilly night air, I threw my backpack over my left shoulder before beginning my mile hike through woodlands and forests. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all...