Chapter 1- Background

Tamryn Sandler

“Tammy can you hurry the fuck up!” Dylan shouted from the living room

“I’m coming.” I said rushing to get his dinner to him.

Walking in the living room I handed him his dinner and was about to head back to the kitchen when Dylan grabbed my hand. “It better be good.” He said in a low, cruddy voice while squeezing onto my wrist.

I roughly pulled my hand away, freeing myself from his grip and giving him a small smile. Quickly, I ran to the kitchen and rolled my eyes. I slowly began to eat my food when I heard a glass break.

“Tammy!” Dylan shouted, and I let out a small sigh, making my way to him. I came to find the plate of food on the floor, and the bottle of alcohol that was beside him before was now laying broken on the floor.

Looking up at him, I saw him holding a piece of the glass in his hand, which was bleeding. He slowly made his way to me, and I slowly backed up.

Turning around, I was about to run for my escape when he grabbed my arm and pulled me towards him, pinning me against the wall. “Why is my food cold?” He questioned his grip, tightening around my neck.

My hands wrapped around his, trying to tug him off as best as I could while struggling to breathe.

“You’re just fucking useless, didn’t mom teach you anything?” He said, his grip around my neck getting tighter.

“Dylan…p-please.” I managed to utter.

Slowly his grip loosened but just when I thought I was free ,he tossed me across the room. My back hitting the drawer, I collapsed onto the floor.

I layed there hoping he done, then suddenly, I felt a sharp pain on upper back.

“Aahhh!” I screamed in pain.

“This is what you get as punishment he said, digging the broken glass deeper into me.

He grabbed my hair, pulling me, my hands flew to get a hold on him to lessen the pain and he just kept pulling, Dragging me towards the door.

“Dylan please… Dylan stop you’re hurting me please!” I begged but he just continued. The door flew open and he dragged me out, finally letting go of my hair.

*BANG!*w the door shut behind me and I just lay there crying from the pain he cause me.

After a few minutes, i heard footsteps approaching. I looked up to see Aunt Dee Dee, our neighbor, standing in front of me.

She helped me get up, and slowly, we walked back to her place. She helped to the bathroom, where she set me up on the toilet and let water fill up the tub.

In complete silence, she helped me undress and lay me in the tub. She washed me clean and helped sew up the wound on my back, all while tears rolled down my face.

She left the bathroom briefly and came back with some clothes in hand, which she placed on the toilet seat. She glanced at me one last time before she left me there alone. When the bathroom door shut, I couldn’t help but just cry without holding back this time.

I sat there in the warm water just crying my lungs out. Where did I go wrong in life? Why did mom have to leave? And why would she leave me with him? That monster?  Dylan wasn’t always like this. He only started drinking and using substances when dad died. He just turned into this grumpy, moody bitch all of a sudden. I don’t understand why became like this. He was studying to become a lawyer, and he would work in dads firm, but he lost. When dad died we had to move back into the old house.

Mom and Dylan never discussed anything about dads will with me so I really don’t know where all the money went. We were poor but after a short while, things seemed to get better, until Mom fell sick. After that things spiralled out of control and everything went haywire. I had to drop out of school to take care of mom cause Dylan was too busy in his own word getting wasted every night. I struggled finding a good paying job in order to cover the medical bills and every time I suggested we take money from my trust fund mom shut that idea down and refused to even think about it. Now I’m left taking care of Dylan and working part time to try and balance our lives.

I got out of the water and dried myself off. I got dressed and stood in front of the mirror. Looking at myself, I just looked malnourished and helpless. I couldn’t keep living like this. I wanted out from this life.

I got out to see aunt DeeDee waiting for me. She took my hand and guided me to the kitchen where she had set a plate of food for me. I sat down on the kitchen stool and ate away while aunt DeeDee just watched me in silence.

I got up, walked over to the sink and washed my plate. Aunt DeeDee took my hand and guided me to a room. Kayla’s room. Kayla moved to the city 4 years ago for her studies, and I miss my best friend so much. I should have left with her but I stayed to take care of Dylan.

I sat on the bed, and I gathered the courage to look up at aunt DeeDee. When I did, aunt DeeDee’s hand collided with my cheek.

I sat there astonished about what happened.
Did she seriously just slap me?

“Pull your life together, Tam.” She said in a stern tone. And with that she walked out, closing the door behind her.

I sat there, with tears seconds from falling down my face, but I couldn’t control myself, and there I was crying again. She was right. I needed to pull myself together.

~mayamccoynovels°