xxii

TW: swearing

Clint had a bittersweet reunion with all of his old friends. Annabeth, who had only just seen him two weeks ago; Percy, who had been Clint's best prankster buddy (the duo was second only to the Stolls); Leo, who everyone thought was actually dead (he was chilling on Ogygia and then he snapped); Thalia, who was the most badass person he knew (other than Nat); and Jason, who he didn't know very well, but knew well enough to be glad he was back.

The news of Nico's death had hit everyone like a shock. Leo started shaking, and Piper wrapped her arms around him to calm him down, tears leaking out of her eyes.

Jason's eyes flickered dangerously and he stormed into the Zeus cabin, slamming the door behind him. 

Anguished screams could be heard in the distance.

Thalia disappeared into the woods, refusing to speak to anyone.

Percy's face showed no emotion as he calmly stated he needed to go for a swim. Without a second thought, he ran down to the lake and jumped in, not resurfacing for the next half an hour.

Clint understood their grief. Clint hadn't gotten the time yet. And Nico had been one of their best friends — this was normal. 

So why wasn't Will grieving? 

Clint turned to his brother, who had a stony expression and drooped eyes. 

"Will," Clint said softly.

"Hm?" Will hummed.

"Are you... doing okay?" Clint struggled to find the words. Of course Will wasn't doing okay. He had just found out the love of his life was dead.

To his surprise, Will just answered with a "Yes."

Annabeth spoke suddenly. "We can check," she noted quietly.

"What?" Clint frowned.

She spoke louder this time. "We can check with Hades. You know, to make sure Nico's in Elysium. That he's happy."

"Maybe Hades can bring him back," Will mumbled. His eyes brightened. "Annabeth. How do we talk to Hades?"

Annabeth pulled out a drachma. "Ever since the Blip, the gods started responding to Iris messages. Kind of nice, actually, not having to go to Olympus every time you wanted to talk." 

The three walked down to the lake, and Annabeth flicked the drachma into the water.

"O, Fleecy, do me a solid. Show me Hades in the Underworld," she muttered.

The mist solidified into a projection of Hades on his throne. His eyes were red, and strangely enough, he was sitting on the floor of his throne room.

"Lord Hades," Will spoke, shaking.

"Who said that?" The god looked up abruptly. "Oh. Solace."

"Is... is Nico..." Will's voice caught.

"I'm afraid my son is dead," Hades stroked a piece of his long black hair. "When we all came back, I sensed it immediately."

"Can you bring him back?" Will asked in a low voice. "If he's dead, he's in your domain."

"In a normal situation, yes," Hades winced. "But, alas, Nico's soul isn't in Elysium."

Will shook his head. "I know he killed, like, hundreds of people, but can't you still—"

"Good business, but that's beside the point. He's not in Elysium. Or in Asphodel. Or in the Fields of Punishment," Hades said gruffly. "His soul is lost. I can't find it."