Kidnapped

After a quiet week, Kida decided to try running on the water again. She wasn't, however, brave enough to try flying again.

''Be careful,'' said Alice.

''Don't worry. I'll make a few laps around the island before going completely out on the open sea,'' replied Kida. "I'll bring the LD Walkie Talkie, too."

Long Distance Walkie Talkies. It's something her parents had come up with years ago to keep track of Rodger and herself; due to the large island-like stretch of land that they live on in the States.

Before setting out, Kida adjusted her specially made goggle that she used when she ran. On the test run, she ran extremely fast by all the other small islands. She started to get tired after a while, so, she found a nice open area on a nearby island. When she was on land, she looked at her wrist band and saw she had gone five miles in only four minutes! She sat on the sand and said aloud, ''Phew! No wonder I'm tired.'' Taking a moment to slow her breathing down, Kida took out the LD Walkie Talkie and reported in to her mom. "Taking a rest on an uninhabited island. All's well."

"10-4," her mom replied.

She heaved a sigh and sat on the small lonely beach, listening to the waves gently lap against the shore. Abruptly, she heard a twig break behind her. Startled by the sudden sound, she turned around and looked at the trees behind her; and, after observing for a few seconds, she became content and continued to relax. A moment later, she saw birds fly out of the trees and knew that someone or something was in the woods. Kida stood up and was about to leave until she shouted from a pain on the back of her neck. She reached to the stinging area, and pulled out a small piece of metal with a needle point at the end of it. Before she could react, her vision started to spin and spots danced before her eyes and she fell to the ground. As she lay on the sand, heart pounding and muscles aching, she saw a group of men rushing towards her, then lost consciousness!

When Kida woke, everything was black and she couldn't move her hands. She then realized that she was tied, blindfolded, and was now lying in a boat! She tried to lean up, but was stopped by someone pushing her back down. ''Where am I? Who are you?'' Kida asked, now trying to calm her racing heart.

''Wouldn't you like to know,'' a man's menacing voice replied. Kida squirmed, trying to lean up again, then the man said, ''If you don't lay still, you'll regret it.''
Not having any other choice, she remained still.

I've got to get in touch with Mom! she thought in desperation. Kida could still feel the L.D Walkie Talkie enclosed in her pocket. So, they didn't take it! But I can't reach it with my hands behind my back... I'll just have to wait until a possibility presents itself.

They sailed for a few minutes more, slowed down, then the boat was pulled halfway on land. Someone lifted her out of the boat. Then, while Kida was still tied and blindfolded, two other men took her by the arms and led her from the boat. She heard rustling of leaves and the local birds singing their song instead of the sound of the lapping sea, and figured they'd entered a wooded area. It was after some distance when one of the men said, ''Watch your head.'' She ducked as she was led into a large tent, where one of the guards seated her and the other one took off the blindfold. As her eyes adjusted to the light, she saw, sitting right in front of her, J.M Rack! She had just overcome her racing heart and now had to slow it down a second time. Still shocked and frightened at being J.M Rack's captive, Kida sat in silence. He stayed silent as well. Though she averted her eyes from him, she could tell his gaze never left her; as if studying her. Unable to handle the quiet any longer, she blurted out, ''What do you want with me?!"

He smiled and said, "Well, when an unexpected guest arrives at one's doorstep, it's rude to turn them away, isn't it?"

"I'm no guest," she spit out, making eye contact with him for a brief moment.