Transfer Students

"No way, what was she thinking?" Hanni giggled while suppressing a laugh.

"I don't know! I tried to stop her but she was too stubborn!" Danielle exclaimed as they both laughed.

Today is the second day of school and the two friends are in their classroom. They decided to kill some time by telling each other funny stories as they still have 30 minutes before class starts.

While Danielle continues to tell her story, Hanni notices someone sitting near them in the corner of her eye.

She slowly tilted her head, yet was quick to freeze when she saw the boy from yesterday giggling at the book he was reading.

She stared at him as he flipped through the pages, grinning and giggling from time to time. He would also gasp in shock as he read, which she found really cute.

'So he's in the same class as me.' She bashfully smiled.

She continued to stare at him, completely forgetting what she was doing a few minutes ago. At the same time, Danielle's voice became less and less audible, to the point she couldn't even hear her talk anymore.

"And then I said--" Danielle stopped mid-sentence. She noticed that her best friend was no longer listening to her but instead, was staring at something with a smitten smile on her face.

Curious, Danielle turned to her left to look at whatever Hanni was staring at. There, she saw the very same boy Hanni was staring mindlessly at the library yesterday.

She looked back at her and surely, her eyes held the same emotion as when she stared at him yesterday. Danielle knew exactly what type of look that is, she wasn't born yesterday.

She's smart enough to conclude that Hanni, her best friend, is developing a crush. The thought alone made Danielle sigh heavily as she scratched her head in disbelief.

'I hope it'll be nothing more than a crush.' Danielle sighed once again and decided to play a game on her phone instead.

____________________

The bell rang, making the students stop whatever they were doing, and patiently waited for their teacher in their respective seats.

Soon, their teacher walked in as the students stood up and bowed at her politely.

"Good morning everyone. My name is Bae Joohyun, but you should call me Ms. Irene. I'll be your homeroom advisor and your Science teacher for the rest of this school year." She introduced herself to the class.

"Good morning Ms. Irene." The students stood up and greeted her before sitting down.

"Alright, now. I see many familiar faces in this room and I assume that most of you know each other?" Ms. Irene asked as most of the students nodded.

Many of them have known each other from the previous year - some are gathered and seated with their old friends while new faces are just starting to get by with their new environment.

"But I see two unfamiliar faces and I believe they were the transferees from Incheon that the principal informed me about." Ms. Irene added as the students looked around, trying to figure out the two transferees mentioned.

"You two," She pointed at two specific students. "Kindly introduce yourselves in front of the class."

The two students stood up and walked to the front of the class.

"Good morning everyone! I'm Lee Hyein, nice to meet you! She bowed and waved both of her hands excitedly at them.

"Hello everyone, My name is Park Jaejin. Nice to meet you all." He bowed politely and flashed a soft smile.

"Wah~ They're so good-looking."

"I wanna be friends with them."

The sound of muttering lips from the seated students filled the classroom, flattering the two new figures with appreciative words - especially about their looks.

'Jaejin, huh?... Cute name...' Hanni stared at the boy. Her eyes widened when Jaejin suddenly looked her way and waved with a gentle smile curving wide. She felt her face heating up as she waved back sheepishly.

"Thank you for introducing yourselves, Hyein and Jaejin. You may now take your seats." Ms. Irene instructed and they complied.

____________________

Ms. Irene just finished lecturing the students about the rules and regulations, then gave a few pointers on what they should expect for tomorrow's lesson.

Not long after Ms. Irene left, the bell rings, signaling recess.

Most of the students immediately gathered around Hyein and Jaejin's table to befriend them. Hanni tried to get a peek at Jaejin from her seat but to no avail, the students were blocking her view.

She sighed heavily and sulked, which didn't go unnoticed by Danielle.

"What's wrong, Hanni?" Danielle asked her.

"N-nothing..." She lied and sighed heavily once again.

"You know we can just go there and talk to them, right?"

Hanni was taken aback by how Danielle was able to read her like an open book.

"But... I'm too shy..." she mumbled.

"Oh come on~ I'll go with you. I wanna meet them too," Danielle patted her head which put a smile on her face.

"Really?"

"Yeah, but maybe after the crowd is gone."

____________________

'Aish... Do you guys have to be noisy when befriending someone?' Minji glared at the crowd gathering around the two transferees.

She's been thinking about that Jaejin boy for a while now. Not for his looks, but because he looked familiar to her.

'Where have I seen this guy?' And then it clicked.

She finally recognized who he was, the very same guy that bumped into her in the cafeteria.

'Seriously? Him? Tsk.' She clicked her tongue, but her eyes were fixated on the boy.

____________________