Chapter 5

Levi Ackerman x female reader

Warnings: cussing

You easily settled into your new routine with the Scouts. You would wake up at the crack of dawn, get ready, eat breakfast, work on whatever clothes soldiers brought you, have lunch, keep working, eat dinner, get ready for bed. You were looking forward to spending more time with Hange since your offices were near each other, but they were too preoccupied with studying their captured titans. You were proud of the fact that you were part of the small team that put together the large net used to capture said titans, but you were still too scared to visit the product of your work. You believed Hange that Bean and Sonny were very interesting so you didn't need to confirm it yourself. You and Levi had become closer and you figured that was mostly thanks to your friendship with Petra, a member of his special operations squad. You were normally great at making friends but when you first started eating at the dining hall, you were nervous to find a place to sit. Everyone seemed to have their own groups already. You, having no combat experience, felt like you wouldn't be welcomed at any table full of soldiers so you made your peace with sitting alone. That didn't last long, however, because a ginger haired woman eagerly made her way over to you one morning during breakfast.

"You're Y/n L/n, right? I'm Petra," she said. You shook her outstretched hand, a bit confused but happy to be having some interaction.

"Oh! Petra! I remember you. You came in the other day, right? You needed your shirt collar fixed?"

Her eyes lit up. "Yes! That's me! You do such great work. I noticed you've been eating alone, do you want to sit with me and the squad today?" She gestured to a table filled with a few other people.

You nodded gratefully. "I would love that. Thank you."

That day, you met Eld, Oluo, and Gunther. They were an eclectic group, but fun nonetheless. Ever since then, you found yourself in their company for most meals. You and Petra became extra close, being the only girls at the table and bonding outside of meal times as well. It was nice to finally have a sense of belonging for one of the first times in your life. It was even better when you felt that sense of belonging when Levi finally joined the group for dinner. The first time he saw you eating with his squad, he was surprised at the feeling of relief that washed over him when you weren't alone for once. He figured he should've sat with you at least one of the times he saw you by yourself, but he could never bring himself to interrupt your peace and quiet. That didn't matter now anyway. You were laughing at something Oluo had said when you spotted Levi observing the scene in front of him.

"Captain!" you had called out, "come join us!"

He thought that was awfully silly, you inviting him to eat with his squad, but it was still endearing. You fit in his group like you were a missing piece of the squad puzzle, making witty comebacks to anyone who dared to test you and thoughtfully contributing to the conversation.

From that day on, you always had a spot at Squad Levi's table. Levi had enjoyed seeing you getting along with his most trusted comrades. It was perfect that you understood the trash talk and teasing was just their weird way of showing affection and the fact that you dished it back tenfold was the cherry on top for Levi. He liked that you laughed at his shit jokes and loved that you usually followed up with your own. Speaking of you and shit:

Shit. He needed to see you.

Winter had finally rolled around and Levi received a new pair of cold weather uniform pants. When he tried them on, he internally groaned. They were much too long, as he expected. He had skated by the past few years with wearing his perfectly sized old pair, but they were too beat up for any more use. Going to get things tailored was the bane of Levi's existence. Forced proximity to people so they could get his measurements, hands going places where hands should never be. He also hated being seen in pants that he was swimming in. Not that he cared about his height, being short was fine and there's nothing he could do about it anyway, but it was still a little embarrassing to be a grown man looking like a child who stole his father's pants, even if only for a few moments. A blizzard was set to come in a few days so he knew he had to see you now. He departed his rarely occupied office and walked past the few doors that separated you two. He knocked gingerly on your door that was left ajar.