[4]

[FOUR]

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

The next Saturday morning, Taeyong didn't really stay true to his word and didn't read Grim's books immediately; he told himself he'd do it—later, and ended up lounging around on his bed getting distracted by his Nintendo switch for a whole three hours before he remembered, and this is exactly what he told himself in his head,

'No, I didn't mean to click that, stupid— shit wait, I have to be at Johnny's! Oh god, he's going to actually kill me this time...'

So the boy catapulted himself off his mattress and tore through his dresser for an outfit for awhile, and had a difficult time making a decision so he just gave up and threw on an oversized blue hoodie and loose fitting sweatpants — it was Johnny, after all.

He didn't have to dress up for his best friend, right?

Taeyong remade his bed before almost tripping out door, his legs working more than they have in days when he ran through the hallways, down the stairs, and finally to his car conveniently sat right outside the dorm building in the student parking section.

As he pulled out of the parking space, he called Johnny. He was pretty sure the boy might've thought he bailed on him.

"Hello?"

"Hey Johnny, I—"

"You're late."

Taeyong rolled his eyes, a bitter taste in his mouth. "I know, if you'd just let me apologize that would be amazing," he spoke sarcastically, exhaling once hearing the tall man laugh behind the speakers. "I'm sorry. I promise you I'm not flaking out this time! I know I do it a lot. I don't really have an excuse, I kinda got distracted," Taeyong explained, biting on his lip afterwards.

"Distracted by what?" Johnny asked in curiosity.

"Mario Kart," Taeyong mumbled quietly. It was silent for a moment before Johnny's loud laughter basically echoed through Taeyong's car.

His laughter died down as he teased, "So Mario Kart is more important than me?"

"Hey no, I just— I had to beat the Bell Cup. Not that's important but I just really got caught up in it..." Taeyong's words trailed off, heat basking on his skin. Playing video games like that was so unlike him and he was ashamed to admit it. His 'fragile' pride got in the way of him spending time with himself and friends instead of 'doing something productive'.

"Okay, good enough I guess," Johnny sighed heavily, continuing to subtly pick on the shorter male. "I'm going to pick up green hair dye if you don't get your ass over here."

"No! I am coming, just stop."

What Taeyong didn't expect was for Johnny not to pick up green dye, but instead a Jaehyun.

'Don't look at me!'

Taeyong thought in a panic as he covered his eyes with his hands, barely able to see another tall boy accompanying his best friend in between the cracks.

"Oh come on, Taeyong. When you put your hands over your eyes, we can still see you, you know?" Johnny chimed, his comment a feeble attempt at lightening up his best friend's somber mood.

The boy hesitantly dropped his hands from his eyes, his head bowed as he wondered what karma he was repaying to not give a fuck about his appearance today when usually he cared too much.

Taeyong somehow found the courage to look up from the floor, but once he met gazes with Jaehyun, he wanted to not only stare at the floor but melt into it.