Prologue

ODYSSEY 100

ODYSSEY 100

     ''Day, the nightblood of the sky, was born''

In the dimly lit medical bay of the Ark, Laura Montgomery's grip on Abby Griffin's hand tightened as another wave of pain washed over her. Beads of sweat dotted her forehead as she struggled through the throes of childbirth.

Abby, the Ark's renowned doctor and Laura's closest friend, leaned in close, her voice steady but laced with urgency. "One last push, Laura. You've got this."

Laura's breath came in short, ragged gasps as she fought against the relentless ache in her body. "No, no Abby, please, just please, I can't, I can't," she pleaded, her eyes filled with tears of exhaustion and fear.

Abby's presence was a source of strength for Laura, her reassuring tone cutting through the haze of pain. "You can do this. Just one more big push, and your daughter will be in your arms, safe and sound. She'll be the best thing in this world, I promise."

Summoning every ounce of her resolve, Laura nodded, determination flickering in her eyes. With a deep breath, she pushed with all her might, her muscles straining against the overwhelming force of childbirth.

Time seemed to stand still as Laura exerted herself, her world narrowing down to the excruciating effort of bringing new life into the world. The room echoed with the sound of her exertion, mingling with the soft hum of medical equipment.

And then, finally, a cry pierced the air—a cry that cut through the tension like a beacon of hope. Laura's heart swelled with relief as Abby's face lit up with joy.

"Look, Laura, look. You have a girl," Abby exclaimed, her voice trembling with emotion as she carefully placed the newborn in her mother's arms. "Oh my, she is so little."

Laura's eyes brimmed with tears as she gazed down at her daughter, her heart overflowing with love. "Hi baby, hi little one. Such a precious little thing you are," she murmured, brushing her finger against the baby's soft cheek.

Abby's eyes were bright with tears as she looked on, a mix of happiness and sadness in her expression. "What is her name, Laura?" she asked softly.

"Asteria. That was Jackson's last wish. He said she would be our light," Laura whispered, her voice catching with emotion. "Hi little Asteria, my dear child, don't fotget that your father loves you so much."

But as Laura held her newborn daughter close, a sudden urgency filled the room. The heart monitor attached to Laura began to beep erratically, its steady rhythm shattered by chaos.

Abby's heart raced as she sprang into action, swiftly taking Asteria from Laura's arms as her friend began to convulse. Panic seized the room as Abby called for assistance, her hands moving with practiced precision to administer life-saving measures.

Despite their efforts, Laura's breathing grew shallow, her life slipping away before their eyes. As the medical team worked frantically to save her, Abby's thoughts raced, a painful realization settling in her heart.

The heart monitor's incessant beeping echoed in the silence that followed, a grim reminder of the fragility of life.

Asteria Montgomery, the child born amidst hope and tragedy, was believed to be a light—a star in the darkness. But as Abby watched over her tiny form, a question lingered in her mind:

In the end, didn't everything she touched become damaged?