Chapter 6

THE LOST KINGDOM
CHAPTER 6
PULANE

Today is a certain someone's first day at school and it's my birthday week. I'll be turning twenty one on Friday and I have nothing on my name except for a child. Great.

"Mommy I'm so happy." Zayn says after I help him put on his uniform. I tie the shoe laces of his sneakers before I get him off the bed.

"Here's your schoolbag." I help him put on the tiny schoolbag with a change of clothes. The school provide food so there's no need for any lunchbox or snacks.

"Sis there's a car parked outside!" Melo yells from the lounge. It's probably Zayn's transport.

"Okay it's time to go. Be a gentleman and behave in school. I love you okay?" He nods and I kiss his forehead.

I take out my phone and take him pictures before I hold his hand and goes outside to the car with him.

"Good morning." I greet the man who's already outside the car. He's wearing a driver's uniform and he's driving a SUV.

"Morning ma'am. My name is Peter and I'll be Zayn's driver to school." He put forth his hand and I shake it.

"Nice to meet you Peter and call me Pulane." I give him a half smile. His hand is still holding mine and he's staring at me. Typical men. I'm just in my pyjamas what's going to happen if I decide to actually bath? He'll faint.

"Thank you." I pull back my hand from his grasp.

"Sorry about that. Little man let's get you ready for school." He opens the car's door and pick up Zayn and put him in before strapping his seatbelt. Zayn waves at me with a big smile on his face before the door is closed.

"Take good care of my baby before I take good care of you." I threaten him. With Zayn I'll swim across every ocean to find him. Nobody touches my baby.

The man chuckles because he thinks my threat is lame."Yes ma'am." He walks back to his door and get in before driving away.

I went to Wunderkind on Saturday just to get familiarised with the school. I saw the classes and met the teachers. It's a great school and I'm wishing nothing but the best for Zayn. Gosh what am I going to do the entire day at home? ALONE? Now I miss my baby. Why do they grow up so fast?

I walk back inside the house to Melo who's getting ready for school.

"I forgot to give you this." She gives me a sealed envelope.

"What's inside?" I tear it open.

"There's a parent meeting tomorrow. You're my guardian." I'm not her legal guardian given that her dad is still alive but every parents meeting is attended by me. She's my sister and I don't mind.

"Can't I skip it?" I hate spending time with all those oldies though. They are too judgemental especially when I used to take Zayn along. They would look at me like I'm advertising raw sex.

"Nope. This is about a school camp that's mandatory for the matriculants to attend before the final examination. We are writing our last trial exam tomorrow and after that we would be at camp." She explains.

"Where would it be held?"

"At the school. It's going to be an actual camp. Camping tents are already at the school and after school I'm going to get new toiletries. I have to go. Love you." She kisses my cheek and takes her schoolbag then leave.

I read the letter and it just says everything Melo explained. I just can't wait for her to finish school so that she can be independent. Melo is a strong person and nothing put her down. I'm more dependent on her than she's on me but I'll hate to be the reason she loses herself so I want her to sow high.

I clean the house then later I take a bath before I sit down to watch TV while eating. My phone rings from the table and I pick it up. I'm surprised to see that my dad is the one calling. He last called me around six months ago when he couldn't reach Melo. I just have his contact because he send me five thousands each month.

"Hello." There's a silent at the other side and I stare at the phone to make sure that the call is not cancelled but it's still ongoing.

"Rain your sister was involved in a car accident. She's at the hospital asking for you." My sister? Is he perhaps talking about Helena because his other children are boys. I choose to not cringe at his old nickname for me.

"You mean Helena? What makes you think I'm interested in seeing her?"

"I've always known you're evil like your mother but can you just move past whatever you're fighting about and at least come to see her? Please." He's begging me? I've always known he has a weak spot for Helena but for him to beg me? She's definitely the favourite daughter between the three of us.

"I don't want to. Tell her to die for all I care." I hung up on his deadbeat @ss.

He tries calling again but I mute his calls for 24 hours. They could all be playing a game. Let me tell you about my dad. He was in a relationship with Helena's mom when he met Mom. Both women fell pregnant at the same time and Helena's mother gave birth first but she died during labour and Helena was raised secretly by my paternal grandparents.

When mom found out about Helena,Melo was still a baby. She has always known about Helena but she thought she was my dad's brother's daughter and just called our father her dad because she was still young. She used to visit us a child but stopped when she was a teenager and only came when it suit her. Apparently we had stole her dad so when the grandparents died dad had to buy a house to accommodate him and Helena since my mom didn't want her.

My parents relationship suffered and Dad found a new woman whom he married while he never married my mom. They stayed happily ever after and the woman even adored Helena while we were sidelined because my mom refused a baby who was hidden.

Argh why am I even thinking about them? They aren't worth my time. I'm not evil though but I'll never sympathize with a girl who loathe me and didn't even attend my mother's funeral. All I ever did was love her but she thanked me with a plate full of shît.