Chapter 7

THE LOST KINGDOM
CHAPTER 7
PULANE

I'm preparing to go to Melo's school with her for the parents meeting. I haven't dressed formally but I'm just in my long sleeve t-shirt and a jean. The driver just picked up Zayn. He was so happy when he came back from school yesterday. He slept at nine,one hour past his bedtime. He was telling me about the school and how amazing it is. He loves it. I haven't seen him so happy in such a long time. This pre-school idea is the best thing to ever happen to him. His happiness is my happiness.

"What?" I was pulled back to life from Melo's shocked expression. She is on the phone. I wonder who she is speaking to.

"Helena was involved in a car accident and she died earlier this morning." She tells me the moment she gets off the call.

"Oh my gosh? She asked dad to tell me that she wanted to see me yesterday. I refused Melo." I covered my mouth in shock. What did I do?

"Don't worry yourself about it. She probably wanted you to forgive her so that she gets in to heaven. Hell is waiting for her." She ties her hair into a ponytail. She only do edges when she feels like it and today is not of those days.

I'm still in shock. Helena is no more? A part of me had always hoped that one day we can move past our issues and actually build a relationship and now it's too late.

"I guess I need to buy a black dress for the funeral." I pick up my phone and checks the time.

"Funeral? We are not going." Melo announces and I stare at her like she's crazy.

"We have to go." I tell her. It's the least we could do. Paying respect.

"According to who? This is the same girl who didn't even come to our mother's funeral. She could have at least showed up during the week or after but no. If you go to her funeral I'll never forgive you Lane." She takes her schoolbag and leave.

I get that she's angry but the poor girl is gone. I choose to be the better person. Melo will need to understand. We don't fight fire with fire and it's time we move on by closing this Helena chapter forever. I pick up my bag and walk out. I lock both the door and gate and walks to Melo's school. She's nowhere to be seen which means she ran to school in order to avoid me.

————
I was still in the meeting when I received a call from Zayn's school. Apparently he fell off the stairs. I couldn't wait for the meeting to conclude. I quickly told the teachers my situation and they gave the form to sign before I rushed to catch a taxi to Wunderkind.

Here I am at the receptionist trying to talk to the receptionist who kept stalling me. What if my son is severely hurt? They'll never see him again. Prodigy or not.

"Ma'am calm down. The student is being attended to. He's not severely hurt." The lousy receptionist says.

"He only started attending here yesterday and he's already hurt? I'm not going to take my baby in a body suit." I didn't realise the tears that were flowing on my face.

"Zayn Adams’ mother?" A lady comes to the reception. At the mention of my son's name I nod and she ask me to follow her.

She shows me a room he's at and when I get there I find a man who's facing the other way. He's in a white coat so that could only mean he's the doctor. Zayn is lying on the bed and I quickly run to hug him.

"Mommy I can't breathe…" He slowly says and I let him go.

"I'm sorry. Are you okay?" I stare at him properly and he looks okay except for the bandage on his knee.

"Does it hurt? How did you fall? Did someone push you?" I bombard him with questions and forget that there's a third presence in the room until they clear their throat.

I stare at the person and my breath hitch as my eyes come across the stranger. It's no doubt it's him. He's Zayn's dad. It doesn't need a DNA. He's an older version of my baby.

Words get stuck at my throat when I want to say something to him. What do I say? Do I just drop the bomb on him? What if he refuses my baby? I should at least ask for his name.

"Who are…" I clear my throat but he answer before I could say anything.

"I'm Dr Xavier Oliphant. I take it you're Zayn's mother." He says calmly. His stare is fixated on me.

And you're his father. I don't say it out loud though. I just nod in agreement and wipe my tears. Finally I have a name. Xavier Oliphant. My baby has a father. A name is sufficient for now.

"I'm sorry about your son but believe me he's strong. It was just a scratch but he's scared of blood so he was panicking." I smile at that. Zayn is scared of blood. He doesn't want to see it.

"Can I take him home?" I'm not leaving him here.

"Since he's falling asleep let's step out." Indeed my son is falling asleep so I kiss his forehead and follows the doctor out.

He walks outside to what seems like a playground and sit at a bench. The bench is long enough for me to sit away from him and I do just that. We sit in silence until he decide to talk.

"I know." Hmm?

"What are you talking about?" I ask. He's not even staring at me but at what is infront of us. He finally turns his attention on me.

"I know about Zayn being my son." I gasp at the revelation. How did he find out? Did he perhaps conduct an illegal DNA test on my child?

"How?"

"Just one stare at him I knew he was my son. He has the same birth mark as me on his left thigh and I remember you. The drugged sister." He stares at me with an unreadable expression.

"So you remember I was drugged and yet you took advantage of me? What kind of human being are you? You shouldn't be allowed to be next to the kids." I start sobbing. I thought I buried this. I was ignorant for long time and not wanting to believe that I was sex.ually assaulted,that my son is a product of r@pe.

"I'm sorry." That's all he says but I don't listen to him. I stand up and runs to the room Zayn is in. I pick him up and his schoolbag while I go outside. I find his driver waiting for us and we get in. I hug Zayn closely to me while I sob throughout the ride.