Chapter 11

THE LOST KINGDOM
CHAPTER 11
PULANE

I may or may not have told Zoe that today is my birthday. She knocked on my door early in the morning and wished me a happy birthday. Now here she is singing for me along with Zayn who's getting ready to go to school. His father offered to drop him off and I called Peter and gave him a day off even though I'm not the one paying him.

"You are old Mommy!" Zayn screams and I laugh.

"I'm not. I'm only twenty one."

"And that's enough reason why we should go out and celebrate. Twenty first birthday is a big deal and I got you a gift." Zoe says and takes out something under the table and gives it to me.

It's a bag. Wait—it's a Luella bag. A dark green Luella bag written ‘Luella’ in gold. Omg? This is the best gift anyone has ever gifted me.

"Thank you Zoe." This is beautiful. I love it.

"You're welcome. I bought it for myself but I only used it once and now I'm gifting it to you. Take care of it will ya?" She winks. I just laugh and nod.

"It's time for us to go. Zayn say goodbye to your mother." Xavier stand up from the breakfast table.

"Goodbye mommy. I want cake." It's a family tradition to buy cake on everyone's birthday so I nod. He says bye to Zoe as well and follows his dad outside.

"Eat breakfast then freshen up. We going out!" She screams running upstairs. Zoe is a vibe. I think I like her. I finish eating breakfast then clear the table and clean it. I don't wash the dishes though so I'll see them later.

I take my new Luella bag and run upstairs. I take a long bubbly bath inside the big tub. After that I wrap my body with a towel and go to my bedroom where I find Zoe lying on the bed while scrolling on her phone. When she sees me she placed her phone down.

"Let's get you dolled up birthday doll." She pulls me to sit down and take her make up box and open it. There are all sorts of things inside.

"So do you have an outfit matching with the bag? I want to take beautiful pictures of you for content." She start working her magic on my face.

"I have a dark green shirt and some jeans. I also have dark green sandals."

"You need a dress but luckily we are the same size so I'll hook you up." I love this girl. She's for keeps.

"Thank you. I'm obsessed with the bag by the way." I grin while staring at it. It's just so gorgeous and I can't believe I own Luella bag? I thought I'll only buy it in few years.

"If it makes you this happy then I should buy you Luella bags everyday." She chuckles.

"That would require a lot of money. Do you work or study?"

"Work? Have you seen my nails barbz?" Okay so she doesn't work.

"So you're studying?"

"Nope. Dropped out from uni a long time ago." She was now applying eyeliner on me.

"So what's your source of income? Your brother?"

"Nope. He doesn't send me money that one. He's too stingy." She clicks her tongue.

"Then what do you do to make money? Gambling? An influencer? Hook me up. I also wanna afford Luella everyday." The day I become independent? I'm taking my son on a vacation. We've been through a lot.

"Trust me you don't wanna know. You're too innocent for what I do." She start applying lipstick on my lips. I can't wait to see her my makeover.

"Try me." I dare her. What could be too innocent for me? I'm older than her for goodness sake.

"I'll tell you now take a good look at yourself." I look in the mirror and see someone different. I look pretty. Like I'm face to face with the gorgeous version of me. The makeup is not heavy just minimal but I've never felt so pretty.

"Thank you so much Zoe. This is amazing." I hold my face still in disbelief.

————
I've always wanted to do a makeover when I reached 21 and now here I am with short blonde hair. I've decided to cut my hair and dye it blonde and boy doesn't it look good on me?

We are at a restaurant and we've ordered platters and cocktails. I'm happy to say this is the best day of my life. For the first time in my life I feel my age. I don't feel like a young mother but just a 21 year old. All thanks to Zoe. I'll never forget her.

"This wraps are delicious." She moan in pleasure. She's definitely a food lover . Our food platter is full of chicken wraps, pizzas,meat loaf, chips and drumsticks.

"I know right? So…" I trail off so that I can get her attention.

"Go ahead and say it." She picks her glass of cocktail and take a sip.

"What kind of person is your brother?" I enquire.

"I take it you're not interested in him? Of course you're not because there's no chemistry between you. It's like you're strangers."

"That's because we are. You haven't answered my question." I'm eating the chips one by one. I'm a light eater so this platter is not for me. I had two slices of meat loaf and one slice of pizza.

"My brother is weird, reserved and closed off. I think I only tolerate him because we share DNA. He's too uptight." She rolls her eyes.

"Does he have girlfriends or he force himself on women?" I sip my cocktail while Zoe give me a glare.

"My brother is not like that. He's respect women. His relationships don't last yeah but he'll never force himself on a woman. Trust me." She has too much faith in her brother but who doesn't? I just don't have a brother but believe me I would defend him with my last breath.

XAVIER

I take the file on the table and read it,

“Nthabiseng Mothipa,23 years of age. Diagnosed with Acute Myeloid leukaemia." I close it and stare at the girl sitting on a chair in my basement.

"But worry not. I'm going to relieve you of this disease." I fold my arms and study her.

"Relieve me? Are you going to cure me or not?" She looks at me in anticipation.

"Cure you? I'll do better than that. I'm relieving you of this life. This disease is going to kill you. It's going to reduce you to a walking skeleton. You'll be reduced to nothing and you'll feel like someone is in charge of your body. Your hair is going to peel off but I'm a nice guy so I'm going to take your life. Call me black Jesus." I give her a small smile. I can see the uneasiness in her eyes and hear the rapidly beating heart. She's scared. Good.

"Pl—please don't hurt me." A tear roll out of her eyes. I almost feel sorry for her until I remember that I'm helping her. Yes I'm helping her. She's young. She doesn't need a disease to reduce her to nothing.

So I take the sword next to me and lick it while I stare at her. She's shaking and crying. She shouldn't worry though because nobody ever feel in death. Death is sweet so I plunge the sword on her left side of the chest and I hear her whimper and I smile in gratification. I saved yet another life.