Chapter 2: Dinner and Computers

I went straight home after my long day of work, changing into a cuter yet still casual outfit. I ended up just going with a fall yellow sweater with jeans. I also touched up my hair a little and spritzed any of the frizz out. Right before I left I fixed my makeup, so that it no longer appeared oily, adding a few extra touches such as blush and bronzer. I knew I shouldn't keep Ned waiting, giving Pooh Bear his dinner along with a kiss on the head before running out the door. I acted as though I hadn't just sprinted across the street when I rang Ned's doorbell. Eventually he opened up the main door and then the screen one for me.

"Hi," I greeted as I went into the living room.

"Hey, have you had dinner yet? We were just about to eat something."

"Oh, I guess I forgot to eat before I left. What are you having," I wondered. Normally I would politely decline his offer, but I was hungry and I wanted to share a special moment with Leo.

"We're just having some homemade burritos. Basically you just put anything you want in a tortilla. We have hamburger, sour creme, avocado, tomatoes, cheddar cheese, and lettuce for them," he explained.

"That sounds really good. Thank you for inviting me to join you."

"Of course. It's the least I can do since you came after work to look at my computer."

I followed him into the small dining room that was attached to the kitchen, taking the seat opposite his. Leo was soon joining us, a warm smile on his lips when he saw me.

"Hey, it's nice of you to join us, Brielle," he kindly said, causing my heart to flutter.

"What would you like to drink," Ned cut in, since my place was the only one missing a glass.

"Water's fine," I answered, both of the guys digging into the food as soon as possible. I was careful not to overstuff my burrito, so it wouldn't be messy. I also only ate one, since they had salsa and chips too. Everything was delicious, but my eyes kept flickering in Leo's direction.

"So, how long have you been working on computers," Leo wondered.

"Ever since high school. I took up a class involving them and I ended up loving it. I learned how to fix them better when I got to college."

"Have you ever thought of making it into a career?"

"Actually it was my career, until I got laid off at my last job. I've been working at Bob Evan's ever since, but money can be tight with not making as much."

"I'm sorry. Is there somewhere else in town you could fix computers?"

"Sadly no. In a small town like this it's just not that high in demand. And I'd have to sell my house, and it's my dream house," I sadly shared.

He weakly nodded as Ned began clearing the table and I stood up to excuse myself. I felt a heaviness in my chest as I found the den where his computer was located. I went right to work on removing the panel, since it was a desktop computer instead of a laptop. I had gotten a good start on making sure everything was still connected well when I heard footsteps.

"You want a drink? Ned and I were going to have a couple of beers," Leo spoke up.

"Is there anything like brandy? I wouldn't mind having a shot of that," I replied.

"I can go check." He was already leaving, returning with a small shot glass. I tilted my head back as the burning liquid went down my throat. I needed something to lift my mood, but not make me too woozy to work. "I'm sorry if I made you upset at dinner," he added.

"It's okay. I'll get things figured out with my career eventually, and I get good tips at the restaurant, so that's good." I was attempting to be positive as he crouched onto the floor beside me. "So, are you enjoying being here? It's probably a lot different than Los Angeles."