Chapter 13: Kes: 2371

[Sickbay]

The Doctor is treating the young woman's bruises. 

"If you had told us what you had planned, we might have anticipated your irrational behaviour." said Tuvok. 

"Irrational? We got out of there, didn't we?" asked Neelix.

The woman spoke up.

"Excuse me. Don't blame Neelix." she said.

The Doctor was getting annoyed now.

"That's enough. This is a sickbay, not a conference room. Visiting hours are over. Everyone except my patient is to leave immediately." he said so Janeway counteracted.

"Computer, end Medical Holographic Programme."

The Doctor vanishes with an annoyed look on his fece. 

"I never should have gone to the surface. I'm too curious. I'm told it's my worst failing." said the woman.

Neelix disagrees.

"No, no, it's a wonderful quality. Your most endearing." he said.

"Would you be willing to take us underground to look for our missing crew?" Janeway asks. 

"I'm afraid Jabin was right. There's no way to get down. The tunnel I came out has been sealed." said the woman. 

"We don't need a tunnel. We have the ability to transport there directly." Janeway stated.

"Captain, our sensors did not pick up any indication of an underground civilisation. The subterranean barrier Jabin described may be responsible. It might also block our transporter." said Tuvok.

"There are breaches in the security barrier where it's begun to decay. That's how I got out." said the woman.

"Have the transporter room begin a sweep for any breaches we might be able to beam through." said Janeway, Tuvok leaves.

"Kes can tell you where to go. But now that she's free, we're leaving this system together." said Neelix.

"Neelix, these people rescued me." said the woman now identified as Kes. 

"I rescued you." Neelix replied indignantly. 

"With their help. It would be wrong not to help them now." said Kes.

She looked at Tom.

"She means a lot to you, even after everything she did, everything she's done." Kes said.

Tom's forehead crinkled together in confusion.

"B'Elanna Torres, you grew up across the road from her." said Kes.

Chakotay raised an eyebrow in confusion.

"Getting off topic." Janeway warned.

She didn't need Chakotay interrogating Tom, all would be revealed.

[Settlement]

Saxifrages and other water-retentive plants in rows. Kes leads Janeway, Tuvok, Chakotay and Neelix. 

"Captain, the pulses from the array continue to accelerate. The intervals between them have decreased another point eight seconds." said Tuvok. 

A man walks up to the group as they walk underground.

"Kes." he said.

"Hello Daggin" said Kes.

"We thought we'd never see you again. How did you get back?" asked Daggin. 

"These people rescued me from the Kazon. I'm trying to help them find two of their crewmen. Does anyone know where the aliens are kept? The ones the Caretaker sends here?" asks Kes.

"I think they're at the central clinic." said Daggin.

"Can you take us there?" asked Janeway. 

"No, she cannot." a man said telepathically meaning they can't hear him but Kes does and is slightly annoyed.

"They can't speak telepathically, Toscat. Please talk aloud." said Kes walking over to Toscat. 

"I didn't meant to be rude but you should not be here." said Toscat.

"We'll be glad to leave once we find our crewmen." said Janeway,

"That won't be possible. We cannot interfere with the Caretaker's wishes." said Toscat. 

"Maybe you can't, but we can." said Chakotay, he wanted his crew member back so that he could keep escaping the Federation and Cardassian's. 

"You don't understand." said Toscat. 

Kes walked over to him.

"That's right. They don't understand. They have no way of knowing that the Ocampa have been dependent on the Caretaker for so long, we can't even think for ourselves any more. They don't understand we were once a people who had full command of our mind's abilities." snapped Kes.

"The stories of our ancestor's cognitive abilities are apocryphal. At the very least exaggerated." said Toscat. 

"We lost those abilities because we stopped using them." snapped Kes.

"We should not dwell on what's been lost but on all that's been gained." argued Toscat. 

Kes was getting annoyed with the man.

"We've gained a talent for dependence, for simply taking what we're given. I'm going to help them, Toscat, whether you like it or not, and I think my friends will join me." said Kes.

"You defied the Caretaker by going to the surface, Kes. Learn from the experience. Follow the path he has set for us." said Toscat. 

"I've learned very well, Toscat. I saw the sunlight. I can't believe that our Caretaker would forbid us to open our eyes and see the sky. Come with me. We'll find your people." said Kes, she walked off her friends following her and the crew followed them too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had to add Kes sensing how much B'Elanna truly means to Tom and Chakotay's surprise shows that B'Elanna doesn't speak about her past with anyone.