8. The Five Sovereigns

A calming silence ensued in a lavish room reminiscent of a noble's room. One could see a black haired young man sitting with a somewhat rigid posture and a frown on his face. He looked like he was in deep contemplation about something.

Opposite him was a thin, scholarly looking man donning a violet robe over his body. He calmly sipped tea as he stared at the black haired man in front of him. His expression seems to indicate that he is taking pleasure in seeing the young man's suffering.

'Clank'

"That is it for today; let's continue tomorrow, Roy." Lud said as he finished sipping his tea and fixed his gaze at Roy. Hearing Lud, Roy's face brightened, but it soon fell after hearing his next words.

"But as you can see, we have a lot of time left, so I will teach you something else."

Roy felt he overestimated himself; he thought that learning this world's language would not be that hard, but in the end, he realized that, compared to the languages spoken on Earth, Aavinisian is on a whole new level, with 72 letters each having at least two alternate pronunciations. Memorizing all of that gave Roy a headache, but for the sake of learning the language, Roy persisted.

Seeing Roy's face, Lud quickly continued.

"Don't misunderstand; I am going to teach you some common sense of this world so you can get used to living here faster."

Roy heaved a sigh. Seeing how Lud was teaching him, he sensed that Lud thought that he would live here for a long period of time. Even Jonan thought it was so. It appears to be hard to look for a way back.

Lud continued explaining, as he didn't understand what Roy was going through.

"Let's begin with the basics, like the name of the world we

are in."

As Lud's words resounded in Roy's ears, it woke him up from his thoughts. Hearing him talk about this world caused Roy's to perk up his ears and concentrate to avoid missing something important. Seeing Roy like that improved his image in front of Lud.

"This world is called Aavinisia and is divided into five continents. The one we are right now is known as Verdantia."

As Lud was going on with his explanation, the door to the room opened to make way for several maids carrying trays of food in their hands. They elegantly placed them on the table in front of Roy and bowed to the two of them.

"Ah, perfect. I was just getting hungry. Would you mind listening to me as we talk, Roy?"

"No, please go on."

Roy replied. He was perfectly fine talking while eating. No, it could be said that his curiosity got the better of him.

"So where was I? "Yes the name of the continent we are currently on is Verdantia, and it is the second largest continent on Aavinisia and home to many great kingdoms and empires."

Roy listened to Lud's words with great interest. Occasionally, he took a bite of the unknown snack that was placed in front of him and, surprisingly, tasted like strawberry cake.

Roy, who was paying attention to Lud, naturally did not pay such a detail any heed.

"Within this continent, there are five nations that are considered to be superpowers. These nations have a vast land area and a strong military presence, both of which far exceed those of the other kingdoms on the continent. These include two empires, two organizations, and one kingdom."

Lud Salen, a mage appointed by the Imperial Minister to teach the Drifters that had just arrived in this world, He is considered a genius in the field of magic and is said to be involved in the research and creation of new magic. He himself volunteered to teach the drifters, as he had been curious about them; now Roy was the third drifter he was going to teach. Lud continued.