Chapter Ten

Buck

Buck smiled to himself, slamming his locker. He had been riding a high all week. It was finally Friday. He had spent Monday and Tuesday evening with Harper. Of course, nothing happened. They spent both nights curled in her bed, holding each other. Buck had learned so much about Harper.

Her parents are dead. They died in a freak farming accident when Harper was only 20. She was at college in Seattle when it happened. She went home for the funeral. Hannah was only sixteen. Buck learned Harper held a lot of guilt for not staying in Kentucky to help with Hannah when the accident happened. Hannah moved in with their aunt, who was their mother's sister.

Harper decided to go back to school. That fall, she met Jack. Hannah eventually graduated school and moved back into their parent's house. Harper was a runner. Dealing with her parent's death was easier for her far away. Hannah needed to be close to remember.

Evan had kissed Harper's hair as she laid on his chest, reliving every memory.

"You were a kid yourself." He spoke, his hands gliding across her back.

That was Tuesday night, the last night he had seen Harper this week. He has been on shift since Wednesday. However, it was now Friday, meaning his double shifts ended and he had the weekend off. Him and Harper had already decided to spend it together. Pulling his phone from his pocket, he texted her.

Thinking of you today.

He texted her, locking his phone. Harper was shadowing someone at work. She wanted to get back into the swing of practicing. His phone buzzed again. He looked at it instantly.

I can't wait to see you tonight. Shadowing is going so good!

Harper had sent back.

You're my Rockstar, Harper.

Buck wanted to ask Harper to be his girlfriend. However, he was afraid to ask. He didn't want to scare her off again. Not after he finally got her back. He was just going to feel things out and see where things go. His phone buzzed again.

I am so excited for my surprise.

Chim and Mattie would be out of town and Buck had an epic evening planned with Harper. Harper was very home sick. He learned the last time she went home was for Hannah's graduation years prior. He wanted to bring Kentucky to her.

He had specially ordered a drink called Ale 8, which is sold exclusively in the state. He researched hours to find the perfect Appalachian dinner. He had soup beans on the Crock pot. He planned to make green beans and corn bread as well. However, he didn't have a cast iron skillet so he was unsure how it would taste.

Just come over when you get off.

Buck responded, changing into his regular clothes. It was around 3 in the afternoon and he was taking off early to make sure everything was perfect. After changing, Buck began walking to his car. Athena and Bobby were outside the station whispering.

"Hey Buck." Bobby said as he passed.

Buck stopped, smiling at them. "Hey guys!"

"You seem chipper." Athena commented.

Buck chuckled. "I am pretty happy."

"Are you seeing Harper tonight?" Bobby asked.

Buck nodded. "I am."

Athena smiled. "I'm glad she finally came around."

"You and me both." Buck half sighed, scratching his head.