Chapter 3

The next morning Makarov wakes up and pulls you close to him, his arms wrapped around you. His heart is beating quickly as that same feeling of conflict starts to flood back. He stares at you for a few more moments before slowly leans down and places a tender kiss on your forehead.

You wake up and look at him but immediately you lower your gaze, touching your face still covered in yellow bruises from yesterday. You break away from his embrace and get out of bed. "I go to eat something..."

He doesn't try to stop you and just keeps looking up at the ceiling in silence as you slowly leave the room. Makarov closes his eyes and sighs, hearing the sounds of your footsteps leaving the room and shutting the door.

Then he walks into the kitchen while you're sitting by the table eating breakfast.

Makarov's usual stoic expression is back on his face but you can see in his eyes a glint of concern and worry. You have lost a lot of weight recently and it's becoming rather evident just by looking at you. Makarov knows he's the cause of this, he takes notice when you glance down at the ring in your hand and then look away toward outside.

He sits down quietly sipping some of his coffee. He doesn't say a word as he looks at you.

"May I know what it is that you're eating there?"

"A biscuit, I'm not very hungry..." you swallow hard.

"You should try to eat more, my love. You're getting skinnier day by day and that's not healthy."

"Since when do you care?" you say venomously.

"When I look at you, I can see how much weight you've lost over the past few weeks. I can... see... just how much damage I've done to you. And that makes me feel guilty and angry with myself, a feeling that gets worse when you act like this."

"Where is the great Vladimir Makarov without fear and without remorse? Didn't you say you'd never be your old self again? Do you feel sorry for me now?"

Your words are enough to humble him, at least a little bit. Makarov glances back down at his coffee briefly and then leans forward toward you.

"Yes, I'm feeling guilt for how I've treated you. You've suffered because of me and I know this."

Suddenly you change the subject not wanting to hear his lies "When will the wedding take place?"

"The wedding will take place in a couple days from now. I have already planned it all out, the wedding will be held here at the military base."

"I want to get out..." You sigh in a trembling voice.

"And you know what the answer is to that. You're not allowed out of this base without me or at least your bodyguard. There's no discussion about it." he tells you coldly as he looks at the ring on your finger.

"I know... call Andrei in the meantime, I'll go get ready." you get up and head for the bedroom.

Makarov takes another sip of his coffee and then sets the cup down. He pulls out his phone and calls Andrei to come over and be your escort for the day.

He gives to Andrei a brief summary of what your day will consist of, including where you'll be going and when you could expect to be back in the base.

/////////

When you leave the bedroom Makarov is already waiting for you at the door, he offers you his arm to wrap yours around as he leads you outside.

The outside of the base looks completely different from the inside. The air is cold and freezing, the ground is covered in snow and ice and there's no sign of any people wandering around.