4

~Lea~

"I am just fine, Lea!" My mom is still refusing to get treatment from me.

"Fine? Pero nag-collapse kayo kanina? Had Miguel not in there, san na kayo pupulutin niyan? Iiwan niyo na rin ako like Papa?" My tears are uncontrollable at this time. I can't afford to lose another parent.

She smiled at me gently. "Anak, hindi kita iiwan agad. Kailangan ko pa makita ang mapapangasawa mo, bonus na lang kapag nakita ko pa ang apo ko."

"Ma naman e!"

"But seriously, anak, you need to find someone na mag-aalaga sayo until the end of time. Or at least, before I'm gone."

"Hindi na ko mag-aasawa, ma. I'll take care of you na lang."

Her eyes widened. She pulled her body up so she could sit. I immediately assisted her. "What? No! Lorenzo is a great candidate ha?"

"If that's what you think, then let it be," I said, surrendering, no more arguments.

"Lea, bakit ba parang ipinagtutulakan mo palayo si Lorenzo? May nangyari ba? You're very indifferent towards him na parang dati ay hindi mo naman minahal."

I looked at her because as of this moment, she was telling the truth. I massaged her hands as I prepared to speak.

"When I went to Oasis with my friends, I happened to see him there and---" We were interrupted when the doctor entered the room. I don't know if I should be thankful or not because I know that he's carrying either of the news; good or bad.

"Good evening, Mrs. Salvatorre and Miss. I have the lab results of your mother and if it's alright with you, I would like to discuss it privately with Mrs. Salvatorre." The doctor said with full respect.

"No, I would like my daughter to hear your findings because I know she will know best for me."

"If it's alright, may I ask if she works in the medical field?"

"I am a physiatrist, doc."

"Oh, very nice to know! So, anyway, I carry two pieces of news with me. Let's start with the bad first. Mrs. Salvatorre, we found a tumor in your brain. It's the size of a bottle cap. One good thing about this tumor is it's operable. This may explain the intense headaches, dizziness, and fatigue you told me a while ago."

I glanced at my mother because why am I just hearing this now? She doesn't tell me anything. Her hands hold my hands tighter.

"We have two options, Mrs., you could undergo chemotherapy for months or you could undergo surgery right away. You don't have to tell me your decision right away. I will give you time to discuss it with your daughter."

"Doc, how fast do you think this will progress?"

"It's pretty quick based on your reported symptoms and history. In three to four months, it could grow up to the size of an orange."

"How long do you think can I live with and without treatment?" My mom bravely asked as if we were not talking about her life.

"Ma!" I scolded pero hindi siya nagpatinag.

The doctor cleared his throat, "With treatment, you can live up to 5-10 years more but of course, that depends on the surgery. Without treatment, we're looking at about 6-8 months."

I saw my mom nod and bite her lips. "Thank you, Doc. We'll just inform you of our decision."

After hearing the door closed, I confronted my mother. "What was that?"