5

~Lea~

I learned to drown myself to work.

It was 234 great days with Mama until she decided to breathe her last breath. I am all alone. I guess, she likes more being with Papa than me.

Until her last breath, she was very hesitant to take any measures that would temporarily make her better. Until her last breath, I was not able to grant her only wish.

Anyway, aside from managing my businesses and being a doctor, I decided to teach in the academe not for the extra income, but to fill in my 6 hours vacant for the whole day. I want to keep moving to draw my attention away from the fact that my mom is not with me anymore.

"Andyan na si doc, guys! Umayos na kayo!" I heard one of my second-year PT students as I entered the room.

"Good afternoon! We'll be discussing the Geriatrics today. Make sure to listen because we'll be having our post-quiz, and again, I'll be calling some names just to check if you all are really listening."

"Ayan na ang terror!" And since I have a really good sense of hearing, of course, I heard that but I don't mind. If that's what they think of me then that's good, at least, may takot. Pero hindi na ako magpapaka-terror lalo just because of some side comments. I know my boundaries as a professor.

"Is everything clear to everybody?"

"Yes, doc!" They answered in chorus. They all brought out their iPads to take down notes. I made sure to send them my ppt beforehand so they can study in advance.

"Before anything else, let's dive into the terminologies that we might encounter once we talk about geriatrics. So, aging is defined as the process of growing old..." I discussed continuously until I found the perfect time to call someone who was trying to take a nap at the back.

"Mr. De Guzman, if you don't mind, will you please tell us again what is the difference between Hutchinson-Gilford Syndrome and Werner's Disease?" His eyes were red, obviously very sleepy. He looked around before standing up.

"I'm sorry po, doc, pero hindi ko po alam." And that made my blood boil. The question was too easy yet he didn't know the answer to it. What's worse is he didn't even try to answer. 

"Is my class really that boring or does my voice really sound like an angel for you to fall asleep?" I remained where I stood but I made sure that whatever I was saying was coming to him.

"W-Wala pa po kasi akong tulog, doc."

I rolled my eyes and smirked, obviously annoyed by his answer. "Why is that? Did you study for other subjects or trip mo lang hindi matulog kagabi? If you're uninterested in my subject or if you really want to sleep, you better leave and don't you ever try to take the practicals or even the quiz later. You're automatically zero."

After my long-ass speech, he looked around again and he quickly grabbed his things and made his way out of my room. I am surprised that he left very respectfully.

I sighed before continuing. I noticed that no student dared to look straight into my eyes after that incident. We continued with the discussion and for this time, nothing disturbed me.

After our practicals, I grabbed my whiteboard marker from the table where we held our discussion. I noticed that one of my students was inside and waiting for me. I was about to leave when she called me. Brave.

"Doc Salvatorre..."

I looked at her and didn't answer.

"Si Dave po... Dave De Guzman, yung napalabas niyo po kanina. Namatay po yung mommy niya kagabi." I was stunned by her revelations. "Sorry po, doc. Gusto ko lang pong malaman niyo. He really wants to be a PT for his mommy kaso po nakamatayan na. They're struggling financially rin po so kung may bagsak po siya this sem, baka hindi na rin po siya makapag-continue." She bit her lips and waited for me to speak.