🌸Chapter 14 - A Fox At A Funeral🌸

In the days that passed, Rei was eventually called back to attend Signora's funeral with the other harbingers. She knew the letter would arrive in the week after Rosalyne passed and she accepted and got ready to head there. Nika wanted to come too much to Yae Miko's dismay but Rei took her with. The journey there was quite long but soon they arrived. Nika had fallen asleep halfway there before reverting to her fox form and was wrapped in a warm blanket by Rei so she wouldn't get cold. Nika was fast asleep as she had tired herself out by spending the entire day before since she had been with Itto and his gang. Once she arrived she met up with Childe who was waiting for them and pet Nika while she slept for a moment before he led the way in. Rei was silent as they walked through the halls of the building, Rei had something else she was worried about that being seeing Pantalone again, she wasn't sure how she was supposed to avoid him now or if she would even be able to. She just decided to stay close to Childe during most of the duration, however once they arrived she handed Nika over to Childe. She stepped away from them and made her way to the icy coffin that was in the middle of the room, she used her cryo power to adorn the coffin with ice flowers before she made a big bouquet of glaze lily's out of ice. She set them on the coffin before saying goodbye and how she was going to miss her now that she was gone.

"Maybe we'll see eachother again someday." she whispered.

She ignored the other harbingers who had started to talk amongst themselves, Rei didn't care what they were arguing about. While she knew that they didn't really care about what had happened to Rosalyn, she did. This wasn't the first time she had lost someone she cared about, it still hurt a lot since she has been so close to Rosalyn and it was hard for her to accept that she was gone. She went back to stand next to Childe when they all paid their respects to Rosalyn before she took Nika from Childe. He had been called away for some reason and Rei wanted to follow, unfortunately he was the only one who was summoned. So she was left alone there holding Nika. She decided to leave and return to her teapot with Nika. Unfortunately, she didn't get the chance to do so.

" My, what do we have there?"

Rei tensed up, she recognized the voice and knew who was behind her and she really didn't want to turn around. She held Nika tighter before she slowly turned to face the doctor.

" What do you want?" she huffed.

" Are you still upset about what I tried to do?" he asked, inching closer.

" Upset would be an understatement," Rei replied, taking a step back.

Dottore stopped and glanced down at Nika who was still sleeping soundly in her arms. He stared at her for quite awhile until he asked Rei to hand her over to him. Rei refused to hand her over knowing full well he might not give her back if she did.

"Just hand her over, I'm only going to hold her for a moment, you will get her back."

Rei hesitated but decided not to cause a fuss so she handed her over, if he didn't give her back she could just fight him for her. Dottore held Nika as he stared at her, studying her carefully. Rei was so glad that Nika was asleep right now, for once she was glad her abundance of energy was good for something like this. Dottore held Nika and took a close look at her, something about her felt familiar to him, he held her up closer to his face. After a few more minutes a smile spread across his face it seemed like he had realized why Nika's presence had felt so familiar to him.

" Are you done? You've stared at her long enough, now give her back" Rei finally spoke.

" Impatient as always," he muttered before handing Nika back to Rei.

Rei relaxed and was about to take off but Dottore grabbed a hold of her wrist before she could attempt to leave. Rei demanded that he let go of her but he told her she was not allowed to leave just yet as he had some unfinished business with her. Rei knew exactly what he planned on doing to her and for once she wished Childe was here to help. She struggled against his hold on her wrist before she was pulled away from him. Rei was confused for a moment before she saw a familiar figure stand in front of her, she was surprised that Pantalone was there standing between her and Dottore.