3. "I've slit a lot of throats too."

(1585 words)

"No way he spoke to you like that." Eva gasped as I spilled all the tea about grumpy Aiden Knight to her the next day.

His pulse and oxygen saturation suddenly dropped the previous day, so I didn't get to see more of his cold, uncaring eyes and hear any more of his snark remarks.

I couldn't wait for him to be perfectly alright so he could get out of the hospital and my life. Or at least Dr. Bailey could assign some other doctor to look after him. It was beyond me why it was made my job to basically nanny him.

She made me go in to check up on him every hour, and commanded me to spend the night at the hospital, right outside mighty Aiden Knight's room like his personal bodyguard.

It was ridiculous. I was a doctor. Not a babysitter.

My job was starting to seem like a joke, and if I didn't have so many bills to pay, I would quit right then. Finding a new job definitely wouldn't be an easy task with all the saturation and limited spots in hospitals.

"I have to go up again." I groaned, rubbing my forehead.

"Dr. Bailey belongs in the psych ward. If she's so concerned about him, why doesn't she monitor him?" Eva complained.

I snorted. "She has us minions to do that."

"She's evil."

"She's been threatening to get me fired."

"What?!" Her eyes bulged out of their sockets. "She is absolutely a crackhead."

"Who is a crackhead?" Dr. Bailey's voice sounded from behind, making us both freeze on the spot. Damn it. Is she a magician or something? Always emerging everywhere. 

I turned around slowly, facing her usual pissed face. I wouldn't be surprised if she turned out to be Mr. Knight's older sister.

"Dr. Aysel, I believe I told you to stay outside Mr. Knight's room." She stated, crossing her arms.

"Yes, Dr. I was just—"

"Don't give me excuses! Go up there at once! You know he keeps collapsing. Is this how you take care of your patients?"

Oh God. As if he's the only critical patient in the entire hospital.

"I'm going up there now." I said, and began walking to the elevator before she could say more unkind words to me.

When I entered his room, I found him standing at the edge of the bed, holding the table on the side for support. My eyes widened, a gasp escaping my parted lips.

"Mr. Knight, what are you doing?! You need to lie down!" I exclaimed, rushing up to him. Without forethought, I grabbed one of his arms tightly.

He glowered at me, and in that moment I realised how tall he was. Towering over my 5'4 frame, his 6 feet tall big, muscular body made me feel small and suffocated.

"I've had enough. I need to go home." He grumbled, impatience and agitation lacing his voice.

"You can't yet. You're not stable." I said, gesturing him toward the bed, but he did not budge.

He scowled. "Let go of me."

"Mr. Knight, please lay down. I know staying at the hospital in a bed all day long can be draining and—"

"Why are you always blabbering so much?" He snapped, annoyance evident on his face.

I instantly shut up, feeling another pang of hurt. Why did he have to be so mean? He was making it so difficult and exhausting for me to do my job. My job that I normally loved.