Chapter 3

Monday 16th of October 2023

I was bitter and lonely when I stepped into the cafeteria. I was supposed to meet with Sloan, Juliette and Martha, but I really did not want to. I had spent the weekend ignoring Sloan's texts and glooming over my absence of love life, and my brother had spent the weekend playing with his friends in the living room, which meant I could only get out of my room to use to the bathroom and go to work. I had barel slept and barely eaten anything.

I sat rather forcefully on the chair and let my head hit the table right in front of Sloan, Juliette and Martha.

"Whoa, Char, are you okay?" Sloan asked with a frown.

"I wanna die, but I'm fine."

There was a silence, until I stood straighter and took my laptop out of my bag.

"I found the book online. It's not available in the university's library."

"How do you know?" Juliette frowned.

"Why didn't you come last friday? I waited for you," Sloan asked with an hint of sadness in his voice.

"I saw you with your girlfriend so I just went in to look by myself. It really wasn't that bad."

I wasn't lying per say, I was just deforming the truth. I had looked online at the library's catalogue, and the book wasn't available.

"My girlfriend? I don't have a girlfriend, Char. It was my cousin."

I froze for a second, then shrugged, feeling my heart beat faster in my chest. "Doesn't matter, I didn't want to bother you."

There was a whisper of relief coming from the girls, until they looked at Sloan and blinked stupidely. I sincerely hoped I didn't look like that, looking at him, but I probably did. "Fine," he grumbled, "Did you find anything about the author?"

Why was he mad now? I hadn't bothered him so that he didn't have to think about work while being with whoever it was, and he was mad at me? Well, to be truthful, I hadn't bothered him because seeing him hugging a girl had broken my heart, even just a little. Or maybe a lot.

"I did."

"O.M.G.!" Martha yelled, "I have to go, my dog's daycare just burnt down."

She winked very obviously at Juliet, then glanced at Sloan, who was blinking at her.

"For real? O.M.G. Go, girl!" Juliette answered with a very fake worried look.

Martha stood, grabbed what little she had taken out of her bag and left. I had thought for a second she would pull me with her, but she didn't. She was obviously trying to get Juliette and Sloan alone together, but I wasn't about to let it happen.

I stayed, and we worked. We regrouped the informations we had, which meant that I talked to Sloan and Juliet was blinking at him while he listened and added what he knew. We were a good duo, and Juliette was beautiful greenery.

When we were done with the author's biography, Sloan stretched out. He stretched out and showed a bit of his belly, which made my heart beat too fast and my cheeks heat up. Juliette was licking her lipstick, as if he was a piece of meat on a food stand. I felt like hitting her accross the face, or maybe grabb her face and make her eat the table.

"We worked hard today, too bad Martha wasn't here," Sloan smiled, though he was only looking at me. He was about to ask something when Juliette sneezed, grabbing onto his arm as if he was an ancher.

"I am so sorry," she apologized with her high pitched voice. "Say, Sloan, would you like to go to a coffee shop with me? The cafeteria is gonna close soon..."

"Of course! Char, wanna come?"

I couldn't explain how deligthful it was to see Juliette's face melt into disappointment when Sloan asked me out.