15. Song

~Y/n~

I put my hand out to shake. The girl meekly grabs it and I give it a rough shake.

"Nice to meet you I'm y/n, it's nice to finally have another girl in the glade"

"Teresa." She tells me. She knows her name too? Wow.

"This is Newt and Gally, but forget about him he's not important." I wave him off, he looks offended. She laughs, and turns her attention to Newt.

"Hi, I'm Teresa" Newt presses his lips together and nods. She stops smiling at looks at Thomas.

"Um why don't I show you around" Thomas suggests and puts his hand on her back, he takes her to the huts first. I turn around and look at Newt frowning.

"What is it? Does your knee hurt?" He asks me.

"No I'm fine" I lie. "She just looked at you in a way that I knew she finds you attractive" he laughs. I wack his arm.

"Don't laugh!"

"It's okay, love, you know I only want you, so don't worry about her" I shrug and he pulls me into his arms. Gally sighs and walks off to the other builders.

*Time skip to the campfire*

You pull Chuck into your arms. As Newt fiddles with the ends of your hair.

"Hey bud, how was your day" I ask him.

"It was fun! Thomas took me to annoy Gally and he got so mad it was hilarious and then-" I smile as he rambles on about his day.

"Hey love why don't you get your guitar and play us a song? You haven't done that in a while." Newt asks.

"Yes! Please y/n pleaseee!!" Chuck begs.

"Fine, wait here I'll go get the guitar" I tell them. I walk off to my hut and look for my guitar, I can't see it. I peek my head out of the door.

"Newt! Do you know where my guitar is?!" I yell out.

"I think I moved it behind the crates!" He tells me. I look inside and see the top of it peeking behind the crates. I give a thumbs up outside and walk to grab it. I walk back to the campfire with an absent minded limp.

"Love, you said you were going to take it easy on your knee" Newt says quietly.

"I have been, I'm fine Newt I promise" I respond. I sit back down in-between Chuck and Newt. I set my guitar on my knee and strum it's way out of tune.

"Woah that's not right. Hold on" I sit there adjusting the strings till it sounds right.

"Okay that should be good." I start strumming to Upside Down by Jack Johnson.

"Who's to say what's impossible
Well, they forgot this world keeps spinning
And with each new day
I can feel a change in everything
And as the surface breaks, reflections fade
But in some ways, they remain the same
And as my mind begins to spread its wings
There's no stopping curiosity" I look at Chuck and nudge his shoulder.

"I want to turn the whole thing upside down
I'll find the things they say just can't be found
I'll share this love I find with everyone
We'll sing and dance to Mother Nature's songs
I don't want this feeling to go away" I look around the circle until my eyes meet Newts. I strum for a bit until the next singing part comes.

"Who's to say I can't do everything
Well, I can try
And as I roll along, I begin to find
Things aren't always just what they seem.....
I want to turn the whole thing upside down
I'll find the things they say just can't be found
I'll share this love I find with everyone
We'll sing and dance to Mother Nature's songs
This world keeps spinning and there's no time to waste
Well, it all keeps spinning, spinning 'round and 'round and" I look at the ground.

"Upside down
Who's to say what's impossible and can't be found?
I don't want this feeling to go away" I look at Minho and Thomas across the fire.

"Please don't go away.." I look at Winston and Jeff talking amongst themselves.

"Please don't go away..." I look at Chuck who is now drawing things in the sand.

"Please don't go away....." I finally look at Newt, who was already looking at me.

"Is this how it's supposed to be?......Is this how it's supposed to be....?" I finish the song and people clap. I smile and stand up to put my guitar away. Newt grabs my wrist and pulls me back down to the log.

"I can do it" he smiles and gets up to grab my guitar and put it in our hut. He cares so much, it makes me wonder why he likes me, I mean he expresses his emotions perfectly and I'm all closed off and I bully him. I don't mean to I just never learnt how to show my feelings.

He comes back and sits next to me and grabs my hair to play with again. Everyone has continued their conversations and Chuck is still drawing. I look at Teresa, she's staring at me, I knew I could feel someone looking at me.

"Um Newt, I'm gonna check if Teresa is okay." I tell him.

"Okay, bye love you" he smiles.

"Love you too" I get up and walk over to Teresa.

"Hey girl, you got a minute?" She nods and stands up and I take her over to the platform she was at earlier in the day and we watch as everyone chats.

"So...how's your first day?"

"Umm...alright after Thomas came to check on me."

"Yeah.."

"What was your first day like then? Were the boys nice to you?"

"Oh um... actually I was the first person here.." I tell her.

"Oh..by yourself? Must've been nice, no one has left me alone since I got here."

"Yup, by myself. It wasn't that great though, I was twelve and didn't know what I was doing here so I tried to find a way out and I got locked in the maze for a night" I say absent mindedly as I watch Newt tell Chuck a story.

"Oh...I'm sorry" she apologises.

"No it's fine, you didn't know!" I tell her quickly. I trace where her eyes are looking. She's looking at Newt.

"So, you and Newt are close?" She asks me.

"Yeah. He and Minho know me the best." She nods.

"I was wondering if you could put a good word in for me...I mean he's quite attractive and he seems like he'd listen to you."