Part 4

Maha's pov:

I woke up with a start, my heart racing. Another nightmare had plagued my sleep, a nightly ritual I had grown accustomed to. But what surprised me this time was not the nightmare itself, but rather the sound of gunfire that had startled me awake. I couldn't tell if it was part of my nightmare or if it was real, but to me, it felt undeniably real. Glancing at the alarm clock on the table, I saw that it was 2 a.m.

Looking around, I realized that I was in Shahmeer Khan's room, now his wife. I hadn't anticipated that if I were to ask him to marry me, he would agree so readily. After all, he was a prominent businessman, and marrying him seemed like the solution to my problems. However, now that I was married to him, I couldn't help but feel that I had made a grave mistake. I shouldn't have married him, but now that I was bound to him, there was no turning back. Until I could secure ownership of my father's company, I would have to stay married to him.

As I lay there, I couldn't shake off the memory of dinner earlier, when Shahmeer had insisted that I call him "Meer" instead of Shahmeer. The way he looked at me when he made that request was unsettling, to say the least. It made me feel strangely uncomfortable, as if there was something more behind his gaze.

I decided to go out and look, slipping on my slippers before venturing out of the room. As I made my way downstairs, another gunshot echoed in my ears, sending my heart racing with fear. The sound seemed to reverberate through the house, chilling me to the bone. Without a second thought, I hurried towards the kitchen, clutching a large knife tightly in my hand as I made my way towards the source of the noise.

Opening the front gate, I stepped outside into the garden, the darkness of the night enveloping me. My heart pounded in my chest, and cold sweat broke out on my skin. The sound of gunfire always brought back memories of the tragic events of my childhood, when I witnessed the horrors my parents faced. It was a fear that had haunted me since then, resurfacing whenever I heard the unmistakable sound of bullets.

Slowly, I made my way across the garden, the darkness adding to my anxiety. Shahmeer was nowhere to be seen, and my mind raced with a hundred possibilities. What if Shahmeer had been shot? What if Zayan Khan's men had found us? Or worse, what if Zayan Khan himself had come for us?

Lost in my thoughts, I noticed a small structure resembling a quarter in the distance. With cautious steps, I approached it, the adrenaline coursing through my veins. Every shadow seemed to hide a potential threat, and I gripped the knife tighter, ready to defend myself if necessary. As I reached the structure, I realized it was a shed, a small storage unit tucked away in the corner of the garden.

With trembling hands, I pushed open the door, half expecting to find danger lurking inside. But to my relief, the shed was empty, save for a few gardening tools and supplies. The tension in my body began to ease as I realized that the source of the gunshot was likely somewhere else, and I was safe for the moment.

Taking a moment to catch my breath, I leaned against the wall of the shed, the adrenaline slowly fading away. But even as I tried to calm my racing heart, the questions continued to plague my mind. Where was Shahmeer? What had happened? And most importantly, was he safe?

Suddenly, I heard the sound of footsteps approaching, and without thinking, I launched an attack with my knife. My blade made contact with the person's arm, but to my horror, it was Shahmeer himself. The realization hit me like a ton of bricks—I had wounded Shahmeer. My mouth hung open in shock as Shahmeer looked at me with concern in his eyes.

"What are you doing here, Maha?" he asked, but I couldn't focus on his words. My attention was fixated on the wound I had inflicted on his arm. I looked at him, my voice trembling with remorse. "Shahmeer, I am so, so sorry. I thought it was someone else, that's why I attacked without looking."