Chapter 5

As the sun descended behind the city skyline, a warm glow spread across the streets. Rez sat on a bench, his easel propped up, quietly sketching the scene before him. His hand moved slowly, almost absentmindedly, as he tried to capture the fading light on his canvas. The world seemed far away—just him, his drawing, and the weight of his thoughts.

Suddenly, the distinct click of a camera broke the silence. His hand froze mid-stroke. He turned, startled, to see a woman standing a few feet away, lowering her camera with a smile. Her almond-shaped eyes gleamed in the golden light, and her curly ears peeked out from beneath her soft hair.

She had just taken a photo of him without a word.

“Who are you?” His voice came out rough, his guarded expression tightening as he straightened.

The woman didn’t seem fazed by his question. She glanced at the image she’d just captured on her camera screen, seemingly satisfied, before she finally met his eyes.

“Just someone who thought you looked perfect with the sunset,” she replied casually, her smile soft but mischievous. “I’m a photographer. Sorry if I startled you."

He blinked, unsure of what to say. Strangers didn’t often approach him, let alone take his photo out of the blue. He opened his mouth to protest, but something in her relaxed demeanor disarmed him. There was no malice, just curiosity.

“You could’ve asked,” he muttered, his eyes dropping back to his canvas.

She shrugged, walking closer but maintaining enough distance not to intrude. “I could have. But then I’d lose the moment. Candid shots are always better.”

He studied her for a moment, his gaze flicking to the camera hanging from her neck. The sunlight caught her almond-shaped eyes, making them shine, and for a brief second, he felt oddly seen.

After a pause, she pointed to his sketch. “That’s really good. I wasn’t just interested in the sunset—you’re capturing something real here.”

His grip tightened around the charcoal pencil, but he remained silent. Compliments were harder for him to accept than criticisms, and the fact that they were coming from a stranger only made it worse. He reached into his pocket, fumbling for a cigarette to escape the tension.

Before he could light it, she swiftly reached into her bag and pulled out a lollipop, unwrapping it and handing it to him.

“Here,” she said, her voice light. “Much healthier.”

He stared at the candy in his hand, his cigarette still hanging between his fingers. "What—?"

“Consider it a trade. You don’t need that right now.” She popped her own lollipop into her mouth and gave him a playful wink. “Trust me, it's better.”

His cigarette remained unlit as he hesitated, unsure whether to laugh or be annoyed. Eventually, with a sigh, he slipped the cigarette back into his pocket and reluctantly took the lollipop, the sweetness catching him off guard.

“Thanks,” he muttered under his breath.

She smiled, turning her gaze back to the sky. “So, do you paint often?”

He glanced at his canvas. “Sometimes.”

“I photograph sometimes too,” she said, twirling the lollipop in her mouth. “But, like you, it’s more about the moment. Moments like this—when the world feels... peaceful.”

He finally looked at her, really looked, noticing how effortlessly she seemed to fit into the scene, as though she belonged there all along. “Why take pictures?”

Her eyes softened as she shrugged. “Because life moves too fast. And I like remembering the little things before they’re gone.”

He nodded, the air between them feeling lighter now. The sun continued to set, casting longer shadows, but something had shifted between them—something that felt like a beginning.